Thursday, July 12, 2012

PROGRESS & SUPERHEROES

In my practice, progress is not measured by what outstanding pose I can master (though, I would accept that). Rather, I measure progress in small pieces and parts - like, how straight can I get my leg(s) in a particular pose; or, 'wow, is that my inner thigh muscle firing?'; or, is my right shoulder blade moving as strongly as the left, etc., etc. That's how I measure progress.

Seems silly as I write it, but I feel good about those 'pieces and parts', and that's what is important to me about this practice.

Yesterday, in our Wisdom Warriors (WW) practice, another sign of 'progress' -- Leslie-style progress, that is.

Step back 8-9 weeks to the first WW practice. I have to admit my practice, at that time, had significantly diminished from what it was when I moved away from Salt Lake. I could list many reasons (excuses) for that, but - keeping it simple - will just say I wasn't paying much attention to MY practice.

Enter Desiree Rumbaugh, Geri Portnoy & an idea for a practice. (2 lady Superheroes riding in to my rescue.)

Week 1, Desiree asked us to come to hands and knees, separate our hands wider on our mats (partially off the mat, in fact, staying up on fingertips). Once set, we were to begin lowering our chest to the floor, keeping shoulder blades strongly engaged and hips in the air. With chest and chin on floor, everyone took a few breaths and then came out of the 'pose' - whatever it's called.  Everyone, except me -- generally weak and struggling with a sore shoulder.  I lowered a bit, but not all the way.

Week 8/9, Desiree calls for this 'pose', again. Be still my heart -- I place my hands, engage my shoulder blades, begin to lower. With chest and then chin on floor, I took a few breaths before coming out. AND, I repeated the move 2-3 times, I'm sure. AND, it felt good.

Ahhh, the power of practice; the power of friends; the power of Superheroes arriving at just the right time, just when you need them.

The rest of the practice, you ask?  Backbends, backbends and more backbends.  All shapes and forms, even some upside down ones. Urdhva is still escaping me, but after the above example, I am sure it is not far away.

Today?  Therapeutic/Gentle Yoga at 12:30 at Yoga for Life; then 4pm Basics at Living Yoga (think backbends).

Hope you have a great Thursday!

No comments: