Sunday, September 23, 2012

HOW DO 'UN-ADVERTISED' WORKSHOPS WORK FOR YOU?

You might think that an un-advertised workshop is a workshop destined for failure, or low attendance anyway.  Yes, that's the logical thought process.

I found out a bit differently yesterday, and here's the story:

About a month ago, I decided that the Library population could use a workshop focusing on the feet - their make-up, purpose, etc., etc.  I got in touch with the Library, they put me on the calendar tentatively. I then confirmed.

Last Monday, as I was about to begin my class at the Library, I ran into one of the Librarians and asked about the workshop publicity - which had been nonexistent.  She did a bit of research and noticed that the calendar still said 'tentative', and - therefore - no publicity.  Things happen, I wasn't worried or upset, and I decided to postpone it until October.

In class, I mentioned this to students. Three spoke up, saying they were planning to attend (I had mentioned the workshop to the class a week or two earlier).  Re-thinking my postponement idea, I decided to do the workshop anyway.  Even if just 3-4 showed, it would still be good practice for me.  When I got home that day, I sent an e-mail to all the Library students who've given me their e-mail addresses. Got a couple responses. So, at this point, I'm thinking 5-7 students, maybe.

So, yesterday, armed with 10 copies of my handouts, I headed to the Library. Arrived 20 minutes early, one person already in the room, and she had brought a friend.  Over the next 20 minutes, people gradually trickled in, until there were 19 in the room!  Some of the class 'regulars', and several new-to-me students, all gathering to work with and learn more about their feet.  (Confession:  This is the most I have ever had attend ANY of my workshops, unless it was a corporate event.)

One student made some more copies of handouts for me and we were off. 2 hours of massaging, standing, walking, experiencing the power of our feet. And, we did a bit of other movement, as well.  Good feedback, grateful students, even more grateful instructor (me).

In the future, I'm not sure I'll rely on this method of non-advertising, but yesterday it worked. Thank you all for attending! Don't forget your foot massaging and/or toe exercises.

Hope you have a great Sunday,

No comments: