Friday, September 21, 2012

LOVE THE 'FIRSTS'

Each student arrives with expectations, hopes, desires.  Many times they are met, often - however - it takes time, a few (or many) classes to satisfy their e..., h..., and d... (saving typing energy here).

As I get to know each student, I also develop e..., h..., and d... for them.  These might be radically different from theirs, but no less important.

So, if there is chemistry, we work.  They come to class as faithfully as possible.  I teach towards both of our e..., h... and d...; all this while handling the remaining class members similar e..., h... and d...'s .

All this to say, my story today is one of a satisfied desire.  One student, who has faithfully attended one of my gentle classes, whose desire was to lie on her belly, bend one knee, and reach back with the corresponding hand to clasp the foot and/or ankle.  That's all -- just reach her foot.

So, over the weeks she has worked with me, we've focused on side body long, shoulders moving back (which also will help her sore shoulder).  What happened?

Yesterday, lying on belly, she came up to pyramid pose, inch-wormed her torso away from her hips (lengthening), bent the left knee, lifted left shoulder and moved the left shoulder blade towards center. Then, she reached and reached and reached. First time -- touched her heel with fingertips; second time, gripped her heel with fingers; third time, a firm grip on the top of her foot.

Be still my heart!  (and hers)

Her desire, fueled by the cheers of her fellow classmates, is responsible. I was the guide, showing her a way I thought would work.  So glad it did!

Today?  Another Gentle Yoga class (maybe another 'first').

Enjoy your Friday,

No comments: