Wednesday, October 3, 2012

HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?

Yesterday, following one of my classes, a student approached with his dilemma:

He has lived a very athletic life so far (i.e. runner, hiker, baseball in college), and is still young (30-35, maybe).  He has, over the past months, hurt his knee.  He suspended his active yoga practice as a result, but has missed it.  So, is gradually making a comeback to yoga, accommodating the knee as his physician tries to figure out what's going on and including my gentler classes once in a while.

It all sounds good, right?  What could be wrong?

Well, according to the student, when in a 'regular' (as in 'not gentle') class, surrounded by other active and vibrant yogis, he succumbs to the 'rush' -- he does everything asked of him, forgets about the injury, and just does it; and enjoys the class.  Next day or two, he pays the piper for this forgetfulness -- knee hurts, other body parts hurt.  And, perhaps, because he is getting older than the college days, it is taking longer for the body to recuperate.

Frustrating dilemma.

He asked my advice.  What could I say?

I offered a one word answer 'pace'. I suggested he use the word as his mantra for the coming months; at least until his knee is feeling better and he is back in 'yoga shape' (his words).

It wasn't the answer he wanted. He wants to do it all, to enjoy the classes and the energy in the room.  I admit, I felt a bit 'stumped' to help him. He agreed, however, to give it a try.

I have no trouble with 'pace'.  I do it all the time.  If in a group where I know the energy will be high and the movements strong, I use 'pace' a lot.  Example:  Instead of knee-up chaturangas from the get-go, I'll give myself permission to release the knees to the floor, at least for the first 20 minutes or so of the class. Saves a bit of strength for the poses coming, is my thinking.

Why write this? As a teacher, I need to welcome this attitude into my classes.  Accept that not everyone will do everything, nor should they. Simple; just needed to vent a bit.

Off to Wisdom Warriors in a couple hours.  I bet I'll use 'pace' a lot in that practice.

Have a great Wednesday!


No comments: