Thursday, December 13, 2012

TOO MANY THINGS . . .

If I have too many things to write about, doesn't that beg the question:  'why not write more often?'.  It does, and I have no good answer so I'll ignore it and continue . . .

First -- Wisdom Warriors, aptly nicknamed "oh, the places you'll go" (whether you ever imagined you'd go there or not).  Me?  I found myself, supported by Desiree, trying to drop from a headstand into a variation of the pose pictured below.  I didn't make it, but I tried.  Trying is the value of this type of work.

MC_210_DwiPada_248.jpg
Dwi Pada Viparita Dandasana


The rest of the practice?  Challenging, a lot of breakthroughs in the room, a lot of watching.  Strong core work, carried over into inversions, arm balances, backbends -- just a few poses.

For all of it, I feel great this a.m. and felt great last night.  No residual 'stuff'.  Love it.

I drove home from Del Mar, grabbed a quick bite, changed into jeans, and got back in the car to drive to Temecula for a kirtan with Daniel Paul and Gina Sala.  Wow!  After the WW practice, I could have easily said 'I'm too tired'; I didn't and am I glad I didn't.  Daniel Paul plays the tabla (small cylinder-shaped hand drums); and is a master at it -- having studied and played with most of the great kirtan groups in the world.  Gina -- well, what a voice.  And, her joyful personality came through in both her singing and her 'patter' (isn't that what they call chit-chat?) with the audience.

As with kirtans, there was chanting, and dancing.  Best parts for me?  Hearing their stories - his, an honoring of his teachers and friends, including Ravi Shankar (who passed on Tuesday), plus a bit of education about the tabla. Hers, a smattering of "Christmas Caroling with Friends" meets her Guruji's molecules in India.  Such interesting histories!

So glad I made the effort to get there.

Hope you have a great Thursday; hard to believe it's just 12 days til Christmas!


No comments: