Thursday, July 4, 2013

SUBBING = AWESOME

Two weeks ago, at Wisdom Warriors, we had a short discussion of the word 'awesome'.  Of course, I offered what I'd learned by reading the dictionary -- which is that the word awesome includes the words 'daunting' and 'fear' in the definition.  Interesting.

Especially interesting, since we tend to use the word 'awesome' frequently to describe the interesting and inspiring moments of our lives.  Those moments may also be a bit 'daunting' and have an element of 'fear' associated with them, correct?

Anyway, to get on with it, I was asked to sub yesterday's Wisdom Warriors practice.  Not just for anyone, but to fill in for Geri Portnoy - who was ill - who was filling in for Desiree Rumbaugh.  So, if you take that another step, I was subbing for Desiree Rumbaugh!   Awesome - remember fear, daunting!

It was a short-notice request.  That means I didn't have a lot of time to get nervous.  I also figured out that at least two of the three who had attended the last class I filled in on, would not be there.  My fallback position, then, was to use the same plan -- perfect!  With a little variation on the start.

Exciting, also, in that I'd prepared a music playlist for the previous occasion; never got to use it, because I couldn't figure it out.  This time, I was prepared -- just had to figure out the player at the studio.

So, music and plan in hand, I arrived a few minutes early at the studio.  Remember it's a holiday week, so attendance has been lower in most classes.  In came 3; 2 people I have met before and one of them brought a friend who had a little yoga experience.  (None had come to the previous class -- plan in place!).  Talk about six degrees -- one introduced herself (with a distinct accent); the new person responded in Russian -- WOW!   (He just happened to study the language in school, so could offer a few phrases, which I could see made her very happy.)

After introductions, we talked a bit about injuries, and got started.  It is fun to move as the guide for these practices -- a major issue is that I have to remember NOT to mirror; after all, I'm doing the same thing as I'm asking participants to do.  After a few minutes, I commented about how quiet everyone was (I do enjoy feedback).  And, a few minutes later, the newer participant offered me a few 'obligatory groans' (after all, he said, that's what I asked for, wasn't it?).  We kept moving, went to the wall, each had a successful upside-down moment (even if all their legs didn't lift).  Just finding the shape is sometimes all it takes to feel good about your work.  Then to the floor, then to savasana.

This time, I taught (guided) as I usually do -- watching (as I practiced) what was happening in each person's poses, offering refinements and encouragement.  Best part -- I had fun doing it.  It was AWESOME.

On July 3, the drive anywhere around San Diego is not the most fun.  It took me 45 minutes to drive from home to Del Mar, took me 90 minutes to get back home.  But I sang the whole way, part of the residual effect of an 'awesome' practice.

Happy 4th of July!

No comments: