Tuesday, July 30, 2013

WHERE TO START?

Don't be shocked by the fact that this post appears on Tuesday, rather than Thursday - which has been my pattern lately.  Reason?  I've just returned from a GREAT and LONG weekend in Montana; a  retreat organized by Cami Cote, with yoga and meditation sessions conducted by Marc Holzman.

Why would I travel to Montana?  Well, 3 major reasons -- (1) I've never studied with Marc and, since he lives in Paris, there aren't a lot of stateside opportunities, (2) the retreat was organized by Cami, and (3) it was a chance to visit Montana - a place I spent a lot of time in as a child/teen/young adult.  It also presented an opportunity for Howard and I to get away -- he to explore and flyfish, me to do some yoga - as opposed to teaching.

On night one of the retreat (Thursday), we spent an hour introducing ourselves by first stating our reason for attending this retreat, then telling everyone our favorite food, THEN stating our name.  Interesting order of things, right? When all was said and done, the majority of the 16 in attendance (maximum number for this event) stated that one of the reasons for attending was to 'get away', to have some time for themselves and their yoga.

After introductions, we relocated to the barn to move a bit.  The barn, I should explain, had an upstairs with a nice space for our yoga practice (even a small air conditioner and fans -- invaluable in the 90+ degree heat Montana was experiencing).

For the next two days, this was the routine:
  • Up to meditate at 7:15am  (after 20-minutes of movement and followed by savasana)
  • Break for 20-25 minutes
  • 2-hour practice (hips, backbends, twists, etc.)
  • Brunch (all vegetarian and many dishes gluten-free)
  • A break until 4pm, giving many time to go to the Bitterroot River to swim, others to hike and explore, and others to rest.
  • At 4, we re-convened outside (in the shade) for another 2-hour practice - this practice closer to the ground, with a few inversions thrown in.
  • Followed by dinner
  • Kirtan -- Harmonium by Cami Cote, Tambur by Alesha McCully, Drum by Marc et al.
  • Personally, next for me was bed; for others, there was hot tub, visiting, more chanting.  
The final morning, Sunday, we meditated, practiced (twists), enjoyed brunch, then the closing circle - where we all shared what the retreat had given us.  Tears around the room.  Then a few photos, good-byes, and Howard and I were off to Missoula, where we spent the night before flying out Monday a.m.  
Such a nice event, and Marc -- what can I say -- a wonderful teacher, with a calm almost gentle voice. Don't get me wrong, he can convey, through that gentle voice, instructions that motivate you to go farther, move deeper, open the envelope a bit wider. 
I thank everyone who worked so hard to plan and pull off a retreat like this.  It truly was a few days of rest and refreshment for most of us.  
Now, back to the real world.  My plane was a bit late yesterday, causing me to have to get a last-minute sub for my Library class (whew!!!).  I did make it home in time to teach at 5 in Temecula -- a group of students with mixed levels of experience and ages 12 - 35(?).  It was a nice re-connection to teaching yoga.  
Today?  Teaching at noon at Yoga For Life; then to Living Yoga to teach 2 classes; and throw in a guitar lesson between those 2 classes.  Speaking of guitar, I better go practice!
Hope you all have a great Tuesday, and here's a pic of some of the fun experienced over the weekend:  
Pictured (L-R) - Marcia, Alesha, Marc
Take care!

No comments: