Thursday, January 30, 2014

'BE STILL MY HEART"

The title quote is one I often use in this blog.  For me it is a sign of celebration, gratefulness, happiness -- anything good that happens in relation to life, and my practice and teaching of yoga.

Yesterday, there were several of these "BSMH" moments at the Wisdom Warriors practice with Desiree Rumbaugh.  (Not that these don't happen with Des a lot, but these were BIG - for me).  I'll list them in order of occurrence, with a bit of a preface.

Some of us were a bit late arriving to the practice due to a single car accident on I-5 Southbound, just north of the studio's exit.  Bummer! (especially for the driver, who was being extricated as I drove by)

I can only guess this was a signal for Desiree (who also was delayed) to amp it up a bit, in part to take our minds off this stress-inducing incident.  She announced that we would do arm balances -- many said 'yes'; I thought 'oh, no'.  But we began -- a few down dogs and forward folds.  Then what?  30 (THIRTY) leg squats (think utkatasana, if you are in your yoga brain right now).  Each squat was accompanied by fired-up leg muscles, making each one a bit more energetic that we might normally do them.  After that -- upside down; handstand (not; at least 'not' for me).  I am getting more 'air time', tho.

Then some standing poses WITHOUT arms; all this to really get us into our legs, get the leg muscles nice and warmed up.  It worked.

O.K. enough of the preface, here are the breakthroughs that I experienced:

  1. Hanumanasana - front leg resting on lowest block height (it's always been on the highest).
  2. Bakasana (which I do fairly well); the breakthrough?  Staying in the pose and beginning to extend one leg to the side and towards straight.  Whoa!  That was fun.  
  3. Sanskrit name eluding me - think lunge, with right shoulder UNDER right knee, straighten right leg off the floor, extend left leg back.  Granted, I didn't lift the back leg (yet), but I did get that front leg straighter than ever, and extending the back leg, toes on the floor, was a huge deal, also.  
3 big moments.  There were others, not so big, but no less important.  I realized that, when twisting, the waist muscles opposite the direction you are turning (if you're turning left, then think right waist) must be working.  For me this happens most effectively when twisting to the left and firing up the right waist.  My left waist needs some work.  It became apparent when trying to do parsva bakasana.  I can get my right arm way deep on the left leg due to a deeper twist aided by the waist, which makes lifting legs much easier.  On the other side, not so much.  I know there's a lots of right / left directional stuff in here; you might have to read this twice (I know I had to).  

These are the things I come to Wisdom Warriors for -- that awareness of body parts; things I may never have realized or things I have chosen to ignore - just to 'get' into the poses.  Wise things.  

On the home front?  we are settled in after the short vacation.  It was nice (cold), but so great to see Idaho and to relax for a week.  In Driggs, I was able to take a class from one of my teachers and mentors, Sundari (Joanne) Lucey, and we spent some time catching up on each other's lives.  

I'm also doing a study with Christina Sell (Asana Junkies); she is one person that I can study with online and she holds my attention and energy the whole time.  Good stuff, that will make me stronger; strength I am noticing in my practice already.  

Since returning, we've acquired a new family member - his name is Ben and he is a cat.  I think I said once I didn't think I wanted a cat again (because of the work involved - think litter box, here).  But, I missed a cat on my lap in the evenings, and along came Ben.  

Today?  Teaching 2 classes.  

Hope you have a great Thursday, 

1 comment:

Jacqueline's Breast Cancer Journey said...

I love that you are still having breakthroughs and sharing them. Thanks. Sure do miss you...
jacqueline
every-body-yoga.blogspot.com