Thursday, January 23, 2014

VACATIONS

I just returned from a short week (6 days) at our place in Idaho.  It was good to get away from the routine, to feel COLD (3 degrees as we left yesterday morning), to sit in front of the wood stove, to take walks, and to re-connect with old friends (and, to shop in Jackson - got the cutest Christmas Tree cookie jar; just what a yoga-teaching grandmother needs).

I also took time to do some yoga, using online video(s) to guide me (I am not the most inventive home practitioner; and a video pushes me out of my comfort zone, at times).  And, there was time to take in a class with Sundari (Joanne Lucey) - one of my teachers and mentors.  It was a great class, just what my sore SI joint needed that day.

One of the good things about this vacation is that I not only relaxed, but I also learned.  I've been doing an online course with Christina Sell (backbends - my nemesis).  I am pleased that she is not just doing backbends, but spending time on the preparatory work; leaving me with hope!!!  I also did some reading from a favorite blog - Core Walking.  The class with Sundari gave me some new ideas for the classes I teach.

And, I planned out a few trainings for the coming months.  I enrolled in Angela Farmer's weekend workshop in April in San Francisco.  I have never studied with her, but Sundari sang praises and I certainly trust her vote of confidence.  Previous to that, I had signed up to take a weekend workshop with Doug Keller again this year.  Doug will be back at Yoga Del Mar in May.  Looking forward to more new and embellished 'seasoned' stuff (how's that for saying 'old' in a nice way -- 'seasoned').  Then, there's Desiree and Andrews' retreat in August in Encinitas.  What more could I ask for?

As I wait and plan for these trainings, I continue to do online study, and there is a ton of stuff to be learned from my students.

In planning a trip, there is always the question of subs (guest teachers) teaching classes, and will students persevere in the absence?  I was pleased to hear that all classes were well attended.  I take that as a compliment; a sign of students' trust in me to leave them in good hands.  Thank you to all the teachers who helped cover my classes!

Off to walk dogs, then get ready to go teach.  Some new material, perhaps more students, a revitalized instructor -- all good stuff!

Have a great Thursday,


No comments: