Saturday, January 4, 2014

FEAR & YOGA

I have been teaching a lot this year, more than any other time in the 11+ years I've been teaching yoga. This past week, I've been more aware of a phenomenon I talk about on occasion in class -- Fear.

Usually, it is in conjunction with a new pose.  Students struggle with a pose (say, an arm balance or inversion), when introduced to the pose for the first time.  My theory is that the 'fear factor' kicks in, compromising the students' willingness to pursue the pose.  Our bodies are, in my words, saying to us "what? what do you want me to do? why do this?".  All those questions that raise doubt about our abilities, causing us to wobble to resist to fall out of poses.

Then, what usually happens is that the next week, when asked to do a similar or same pose, the body is like "oh, I've been there before; piece of cake!", and things begin to go more smoothly.  Or, at least the body has experienced the pose, so the fear is not to great.  A bit of confidence has crept in to neutralize the fear (maybe not all of it, but it is a process).

This is on my thought radar this morning, since two students arrived this week; both new to my class.  One mentioned her fear of twists, as in - she is not confident enough yet to twist.  Just getting her 'yoga legs' under her.

The second mentioned her fear of her unexplained wrist pain.  That she will avoid putting weight on the wrist since something (she doesn't know what) created pain a number of years ago.  She has seen doctors, no definitive diagnosis.  It just hurts, therefore she doesn't weight it (hasn't for 1-2 years).

The first - fear of twists - is understandable. And, I believe, as her foundation for poses strengthens, so will her confidence.  It is a process.  She stepped into my class and, when I said 'this isn't a fast class', the sign of relief was audible.  We moved slowly, deliberately, with lots of explanation about the foundation.  We did simple twists and we used props - including the wall.  Her comments at the end of class were that firing up her legs through the spreading of toes and reaching of heel, offered a sense of security she hadn't felt before.  I love it when students think through why things are doing what they're doing; makes my job much easier.

The second - fear of a mystery pain - is more challenging.  We will continue to work slowly.  I offer modifications that keep the weight off the wrist. but still offer strengthening for the arms.  After several weeks, this student is returning regularly; so, I have hope (and, so does she).

Fear is defined (on my Mac) as "an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat".  The definition goes on to say more, but I think this pretty much sums up what I'm seeing in these students (and the students who are trying something for the first time).  Holding back is a natural reaction to a threat.

When I speak about the yoga journey, I say it is wonderful and full of moments that create great awareness.  I also say that is accompanied by boulders we must crawl over at times.  Many of these boulders could be labeled 'fear'.  Patience will be the watchword here.

Enough.

Continuing to dismantle Christmas decorations in our home, trying to pull things back to pre-Christmas state.  And, trying to shove all those tree decorations into the same box they came out of (!?!?!?!?).  A challenge.

Hope you have a great Saturday!


No comments: