Saturday, August 9, 2014

DAY FIVE: Revealment (saying 'see ya later', reflecting, playing, expressing gratitude)

Such a good week -- 5-day Intensive Yoga retreat (Raising Your Vibration) in Encinitas, with Desiree Rumbaugh and Andrew Rivin -- and so hard to let go.  But we did, however not before everyone had a chance to reveal a tidbit of their thoughts.

I arrived early.  Each day, I moved my mat to different spaces around the room. Why? Well, I become acquainted with more people, I get a different perspective from each location, and I enjoy the energy each location provides. Don't get me wrong, I could very easily stay in the same spot all week and have done so in the past. But, this week, I set out to move around the room.

My choice on Friday, front row across from a new friend, and up close to our guides/partners on the week's journey.

The first task of the day for Desiree and Andrew was to hear from those in the room who had never attended a 5-day event like this before.  There were probably 10-15 in the room, several of them men.  Each - no matter the gender - offered that this experience was entered with a bit of trepidation ('can I make it 5 days', 'am I skilled enough', 'will it be too much'); yet, ended with a note of gratitude.  Gratitude for the teaching, the community, the support, the breakthroughs, the work, and the refinements. Almost everyone new-to-this-type-of-event spoke and then we moved on to the asana.

Interesting that, for me, on days four and five the muscle stiffness was gone. My movement on my mat was easeful, even though I know I was working hard. (If you know me, you know that I will focus on little accomplishments -- so, if the big poses don't come there is always something to celebrate -- today it was moving with ease).

We did a mixed practice -- no inversions, but there were backbends, including drop backs. Desiree even offered us several minutes in which to do whatever our hearts desired -- to play.

Savasana accompanied by live guitar music ended the asana practice - so fitting.

Then a BIG circle (65 people).  Once again, we were asked to go around the circle offering a few words about our experience (emphasis on 'few', since we numbered so many). Once again - gratitude, breakthroughs, work, joy, love, community, friends, renewal, etc., etc., echoed as we spoke.

Plans for another gathering are in the works for next August; registration will open in November. I plan to do it again -- for all of the reasons I've offered up over the past 5 days, and because studying with Desiree and Andrew is expansive and inspiring and fun.

I left the gathering, grabbed a bite of lunch, headed home. Got to our house, let dogs out for a moment (then back in), and sat down.  Fortunately, I set my alarm for 15 minutes, because I fell sound asleep.  Awoke, drove into Fallbrook and taught my Friday afternoon class.

Today?  Some rest, lots of housework, practice the guitar.

Hope you have a great Saturday,

No comments: