Wednesday, August 6, 2014

DAY TWO: RAISING YOUR VIBRATION INTENSIVE (or Day of The Sore Muscles)

Yes, very sore and they continued to get sore-er as the day progressed; what's that about?

It's all a product of too little hard-work yoga over the past several weeks; I know, it's my own fault. I fall into the trap of doing 'enough', which in the real world of yoga workshops (no matter who is guiding them), is never 'enough' -- there are always sore muscles.

So, I know you are dying to know what happened in day two, the day of maintenance (remember, we are working the theme of the five acts of Shiva); here goes:

It began rather intensely -- Andrew's warm-up had me worried, as we moved a bit more energetically than the day before (warming up, no less).  Desiree took over, and we began a series of Pilates-like exercises, all with the intention of preparing us for inversions. So far, so good. As we moved, I even entertained the image of kicking up to handstand; that's how strong I was feeling.

As with Monday, the ever-present instruction of shoulders back, neck back, lengthen (as ribs remain engaged close) was there, intended to make our inversions stronger and straighter.

After about 90 minutes, we moved to the wall for handstand. One kick and I knew my image was not to happen today. So, in keeping with the intention to 'stay in the practice', I inverted by doing "L" pose. Then relinquished my spot to the next group. (There are 60+ of us, and wall space for 30, so sharing is necessary). Then switch again and back to the wall for headstand, lifting the head away. Successful effort this time. Rotate spots. Then back to the wall for tripod headstand (Sirsasana 2).  Now, tripod headstand is not one I take lightly -- my neck has always made me nervous in this one. However, the prep work we've been doing through shoulder and neck gave me confidence to try it. A successful kick and fall to the side, then a little help from Desiree, and I was up. Held it for minute or so, felt o.k. AND, a 5-minute headstand (Sirsasana 1). Onward . . .

We cooled down, enjoyed a long savasana, then lunch. In keeping with the theme for the day (maintenance), I had brought my guitar. I remained behind in the big (empty) room to practice. Some thought I had brought it to play for them -- oh no, not yet. So, practice the guitar, eat my lunch brought from home, read, take a short nap, awaken sore-er than before.  AHHH, the cycle.

Our afternoon work was to prepare us for shoulder stand. We took one detour into urdhva dhanurasana.  Once again, Desiree to the rescue. I must remember how good it feels to backbend like this, so I will cultivate the strength to do it by myself.

Set up for shoulder stand about 90 minutes in; everyone up for a good 10 minutes.  Some twisting and another long savasana.  I ought to mention that there was also emphasis on that lumbar curve. I believe I've got it, but the pictures of myself don't look anything like others who have REALLY got it.  Practice, girl, practice.

Head home, picking up dinner along the way, do some laundry, pick up the house a bit, water plants, then to bed.  Up early; another day of yoga fun!

Hope you have a great Wednesday,


No comments: