Thursday, August 7, 2014

DAY THREE: Dropback Time

Yesterday was day three of the "Raising Your Vibration" intermediate intensive, held in Encinitas and hosted by Desiree Rumbaugh and Andrew Rivin.

All I can say this morning, with a small smile on my face, is that I am SO happy I signed up for this one. It is fun, the other attendees are wonderful to spend time with, Andrew & Desiree are great guides, and - though the drive is long each early morning and late afternoon - I am happy to be close to home.

Our theme yesterday was 'dissolution'. Interesting, right? I was sure that one would be Friday's theme. One of the great things about Desiree (& Andrew) is that they are not predictable -- you never quite know what you will walk into on a given day.  So dissolution, it was.

Desiree began by moving us through a slow flow (notice I didn't say 'easy'). Slow, in my book, is never easy. She also gave us license to modify where needed and, also, to expand where we knew we could. Example, if we were in parsvakonasana, we could keep elbow on knee (modification); alternatively, if we were able, we were welcome to move into a clasp or other variation of parsvakonasana -- like that. She did clarify that during that parsvakonasana, we ought NOT be doing urdhva dhanurasana. In other words, stay within the parameters of the pose asked for.

We partnered for some opening and help with challenging poses - which was fun. When new to yoga, few students enjoy partner poses (it is challenging to touch and trust someone we don't know); as intermediate and/or advanced practitioners, a partner is a welcome support to advance a pose. Personally, I got a great assist into a drop back from Desiree. That assist, coupled with the nice things she said in preface to helping me into the pose, brought tears to my eyes.

Great morning, followed by a nice (and long) lunch break.

Back to begin at 2:30.  We talked a bit about the things we are experiencing in this Intensive - awakenings, ah-ha moments, feel good times. One thing that wasn't mentioned is timing -- we have begun and ended each session on time.  Very considerate of them, as they adhere to their commitment to attendees.

The afternoon -- twists and hip openers, including hanumanasana. Imagine a room of 60+ people, partnered into groups of 3's.  One person in the middle in their version of hanumanasana (splits); the other two each taking a leg and helping to move the pose deeper.. Haven't seen any photos of that on FB yet, but I am sure one or two may appear.

And then the party -- what can I say.  Andrew & Desiree live in a beautiful home overlooking the ocean (an unobstructed view over the orchard, railroad tracks, and entrance to Swami's Beach). They hosted us all -- treating us to a vegetarian meal, a beautiful sunset, great company, and fun entertainment (some from our own group).

So, back for day 4. Usually on day 3 of these events, I am feeling a bit 'less than'. That isn't happening this time - a sign of maturity? comfort? feeling better about myself? Not sure, but I am noticing and appreciating the lack of that discomfort.

Who knows what today will bring.

Hope you have a great Thursday,

No comments: