Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Remember Letters?

I wrote my grandson, Jack, his first letter 10 days ago. Jack is 2 yrs, 3 mos. old, and lives in Carlsbad, CA (just north of San Diego). (Did I mention he's also extremely cute and VERY intelligent?)

Because we live so far apart, it is important to me to keep the connection between us strong and to make it feel more permanent than the weekly phone calls, where he yells "I you, Baba" (translation: I love you, Baba). I know, Baba is what Indian children call their fathers; but, I like it -- it makes me feel special and, besides, he came up with it himself.

So, letters seem to be in order. I wrote the first one and anxiously waited for the reaction. 7 days later, the letter had not arrived, and I was feeling pretty disappointed. Then, finally, the letter arrived. The family read the letter together, all seated around Jack's train table. Reaction: Jack walked around with the envelope all day. His mother, who is wonderful about making sure memories and traditions are well guarded, is keeping the letter in a safe place for the future.

Anyway, I am so excited that my small effort created such excitement for Jack (and his family). I mailed the second letter today; this is as much fun for me as it is for him!

Why am I blogging about this, you ask? Because, as I age, I continually am reminded "nothing ventured, nothing gained". Just like this blog -- response has been good and I love the potential of hearing back from you in the comments. But, it took a lot to put myself out there, let you see my 'underbelly', so to speak.

I believe that if we do things like this with our good intentions at the center of our thought process, we can't go wrong.

Take care,

1 comment:

Cindy said...

Les--Sooo sweet to hear Jack's response to your first letter. You could get skype and communicate that way--we did it with Rose when she was in Spain last year and it was fantastic. Thanks for sharing your underbelly with us! It makes us all feel braver. XO Cindy