Friday, February 27, 2009

THANK YOU, UNIVERSE

As I said earlier, topics to write about just keep popping up. Guess I better make a list, because - even tho possible dementia will be delayed (see yesterday's post) - my memory still fails me at times.

I went back to read BJ's comment on my blog entry re: listening. After re-reading the entry, it occurred to me that the 3 points I made about listening line up with the 3 A's of Anusara™ Yoga.

Pay attention = Attitude; make eye contact = Alignment; listen = Action.

I got so excited upon realizing that connection, that I immediately e-mailed BJ to tell her. Her response (typically 'teacher-like'): "Good - now, can you expand on that?"

What - expand? Isn't it enough that I noticed? Apparently not. In any case, though my first thought was to politely ignore the challenge; it keeps plaguing me -- can I expand on that?

To expand on all 3 would take a lot of writing (and reading); so, let's start with ATTITUDE.

I know what Attitude means to me (in layman's terms), but to give you a long, philosophical definition and application may not happen here. Back to the books -- re-reading John's segment from the training manual on Attitude. Maybe I could copy some of it -- no, too many of you would know. So, here goes:

Attitude, to me, is the manner in which we approach our mat, our teaching, our lives (that includes how we listen).

I believe that when we attempt anything in life, if we do so with an attitude of openness, generosity, and strength, good things happen.

Take listening -- if we are open to meeting or engaging with people new to us, our world expands. If we are generous with our time (how many times do you hear "I'm too busy ..."), we may just learn something from listening that we didn't know -- either about the person or the topic being discussed. If we do it from a position of strength, we can control the extent to which we get involved -- because, while we want to be open and generous, we still need to be somewhat protective; there are people out there that are 'energy vampires' (taken from song lyrics by the 4 Bitchin' Babes).

When we approach our yoga mat, we do so open to whatever presents (that's our beginner mind). We don't put ourselves in 'danger', but we are generous with our efforts -- giving things a try, accepting the outcome. We do all this from that position of strength -- the yes & no, the muscular and organic energy of our practice.

The elements of openness, generosity and strength are already within us; we just have to realize that, cultivate them, and then let them out, let them grow, show them off to the world. Attitude, expanded on by Leslie.

There you go, BJ -- give me your best shot! (This is so much fun!)

Take care,

1 comment:

Benita Wolfe said...

Awesome fun! and i need to send my grandkids postcards from everywhere! What was i thinking!! I wasn't..
See you Sunday... or Monday.
Love!~