Sunday, March 1, 2009

ALIGNMENT

Got a few minutes before I have to finalize packing for Tucson, so I should be able to knock out something about alignment. Ha! I notice that my writing, reading, editing, re-reading, repeat, repeat, repeat -- always seems to take much longer than it should. But, I'll give it a shot.

For me, a simple definition of alignment is setting the body in a specific way to create a pose that is effortless (almost), and feels good -- I know when it feels good, because I can hold it, I can breathe, I can really experience the organic extension.

Step back to attitude for a moment. Reflect on your practice. How easy is it to align your body, if the open, generous, strong attitude is not present? For me, one depends on the other. Lackadaisical, effortless poses are 99.9% of the time not aligned well because we lack the attitude to move them towards our optimal blueprint and an action that 'sings'.

Off our mats, we can make the same correlation.

I have on my home page, a quote section that comes up each morning with inspirational offerings. One of my favorites is: 'if you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over' (author unknown). Doing it 'right' is the alignment we make in life (and in our yoga practice).

Now go back to my urdhva dhanurasana efforts (this blog involves a lot of flashbacks). I know, because I've been told, that my alignment towards the pose is good. So, what's the problem? Maybe it's my attitude. I always dread the pose, I always used to think here comes another failure, or - worse - "everyone's watching me and thinking 'how did she get in here -- didn't the application say straight arms?'". That's my attitude stopping me from carrying the alignment into action.

So, alignment is our path to action, but depends on our attitude. Pretty simplistic, but it makes sense to me.

Next installment: Action

Have a nice Sunday

No comments: