Wednesday, March 25, 2009

THOUGHTS AS I HEAD HOME

Yesterday’s squabble has passed – just in time for me to return to Salt Lake. I will be glad to go home, see my husband, take care of my critters, and teach!

The Tantric philosophy of Anusara Yoga reminds us that we are a manifestation of the Auspicious, we all possess the qualities of that Auspicious One (intelligent, aware, free, pulsating, perfect, is). But, most of us hide beneath a cloak (like a cape), afraid-unwilling-incapable of letting our greatness show through. We move through life thinking all is well, but with a slight ‘niggling’ that something could be different and better (at least, that was my experience).

Somewhere, tho, the antithesis enters and, just as we refuse to reveal our greatness, we also believe what we attempt in life must be perfect.

As I teach yoga, I see many students come into class with the belief that each pose has to be done to the max and ‘perfectly’. Even if I offer a modification, I will invariably have a student push aside the prop or suggested option, and teeter on the edge of disaster for the few seconds that she/he is able to hold the pose. Or, worse, not enjoy the liberation that a modification (or prop) can offer -- an opportunity to fully open into a pose without worrying about getting that hand to the floor or losing your balance. Not that I want students to ALWAYS use modifications or props, but they can offer a glimpse of the full pose -- give the body a blueprint to follow for future encounters with that particular pose.

If only we were infused with the word ‘purnatva’ in our vocabulary as children. Purnatva (perfect fullness) in the Sanskrit does mean perfect, but to take it another step in defining – it can more effectively mean ‘perfect effort’. Purnatva – accepting our perfect effort can start to open the door to our greatness.

FYI, I love practices where the instructor asks for our ‘perfect effort’, that we give it our best and accept the outcome. They are so freeing.

What a potential for change that makes in our practice (and our life) – to go from feeling that we have to be able to do everything perfect, to knowing that if we are giving a pose or practice (or life) ‘perfect effort/fullness’ then we are that – perfect. AND, we see just a glimpse of our greatness, to boot.

No comments: