Tuesday, March 10, 2009

IT'S WORK

One interesting phenomenon of yoga is the number of students who start the practice, and - as soon as it becomes apparent that this involves hard work & dedication - quit.

I often wonder what those students came looking for. Or, what they realized while practicing -- maybe a glimpse of one part of their true self, one they didn't want to explore. So, it's easier for them to turn a blind eye, to quit.

This probably happens in many activities. "If I don't succeed, I'll quit."

I could have easily quit after my first few yoga classes. Being older, a bit overweight, inflexible, and very conservative -- those are all traits that don't encourage activities that require energy, exude an air of youthfulness, require we look at a spiritual picture of ourselves. It's easier to quit. It's easier to sit on the couch and watch Oprah (nothing against Oprah, I actually enjoy her show).

But, I've discovered that sitting on the couch doesn't make me feel better about myself, it doesn't connect me with other people, and it doesn't give me any insight about my true nature, my strengths and weaknesses, my capacity to serve by teaching and offering classes through my studio.

If I quit, I've failed to realize Grace - a revelation of the beauty within myself and the Universe.

A short story -- I've struggled with Urdhva Dhanurasana for 10 years now. When I was in Boston last Fall, I pushed up for one of the first, stable times. After class, I called my husband to tell him. His response: "Good for you on not giving up." He could have said a number of other things, including "FINALLY!" But, he didn't; he chose, rather, to focus on my effort and my dedication.

Thankful I didn't quit,

No comments: