Sunday, April 5, 2009

50 & COUNTING

50 is not my age (I'm older), it's the number of blogs I've written since starting this venture. Amazing to me -- amazing because my tendency is to start strong & fizzle -- so, blogging and yoga must be a good fit. As I write this, I am also reminded that I am still writing a weekly letter to my grandson, Jack. (See new photo -- while it's a few months old, it is a better representation of his current look - cute, huh?)

Actually, I think of blogging like writing letters to myself. Reinforcing my knowledge, my strengths, acknowledging my weaknesses, and just chatting (I am VERY good at talking to myself, just so long as I don't answer!). It also appears to commit me to a plan of action -- how can I reneg on a commitment I make to my family, friends, peers, students, community, the Universe and myself.

That brings me back to utthita hasta padangusthana. I have received one comment, plus a couple personal e-mails in response to my blog: PIN (Pose Input Needed).

FYI, since some of you are new to Sanskrit, utthita hasta padangusthana is a standing balance pose where you hold one foot and extend the leg to the front, then out to the side -- while still holding the foot.

Looks like my fear is realized -- the hamstrings are key; there's no other 'magic bullet'. So, daily warming up, and then a bit of lengthening work is needed and I must be diligent. I've been doing more of that this week, just have to keep it up. Thank you for your input -- anyone with a 'magic bullet' is still welcome to comment.

I have applied to the Anusara™ workshop in Park City (September) -- maybe, just maybe, I will be diligent enough to let my neighbor have the pleasure of holding my heel. That's assuming I get in (I have a real reticence to saying I'm going, until I have that acceptance e-mail in my hot little computer.) .

Going to take a walk with husband & dogs, then work on those hamstrings.

Enjoy Sunday,

No comments: