Monday, April 20, 2009

LIVING WITH SKILLFUL MEANS

When I select a quote for the week (see top right of this blog), I go to my collection of quotes and see which one is applicable to my situation at the moment. (I think I mentioned before that the collection has a plethora of quotes about setting goals and sticking to them.)

Today, tho, I am very firmly set in my goal, and my advancement towards it. I don't sense a wavering, or a lack of intention. So, those quotes don't appear this week.

But, I do see the application of the one line "live with skillful means" to my situation now. To me, it is such a strong statement of how our actions affect the lives of others.

If we are devious, discontented, untrue to our stated intention, people will know and people will turn away - it might take them a while, but they will turn. On the other hand, if we are able to stay on track, work within the system to accomplish our goals, treat people kindly and with respect (as well as ourselves), the Shakti (Sanskrit for 'sacred force' or empowerment) will positively affect the outcome of our efforts.

That all sounds pretty heavy for me to be writing; but as I write, I am reminded of the 3 things my husband and I instilled in our son's psyche as he was growing into an adult. These aren't original to us -- we heard them from Lou Holtz (of football fame), but they apply to all our dealings with other people:
  1. Do what's right (we know in our gut what's right and what isn't - it's there, we must pay attention)
  2. Do the best we can (we also know when we aren't giving 100% to an activity, a relationship, a goal, etc.)
  3. Treat other people as we want to be treated (pretty self-explanatory)

FYI, today our son is a successful businessman, living with his family in San Diego. He embodies all three in his life (tho he is a bit slow to return calls to his Mother). I could write paragraphs about my pride for him - but, I won't do that here.

When I remember these 3 'instructions', I am able to 'live with skillful means' and, as a result, am happier for it. I believe the people around me sense it, as well.

Enjoy your week,

No comments: