Friday, April 3, 2009

POSE INPUT NEEDED (aka PIN)

I have thought for a while that setting a goal and working towards a specific pose is a good idea. The thought came to me while reading Christina's blog. Each year, she does just that -- if there's a pose she wants to accomplish, that's her pose goal for the year (this year, it is to grab her ankles in kapotasana) -- a worthy and challenging goal).

Mine, while valuable, is less lofty: I would like to stand straight, hold my foot and take that leg straight in utthita hasta padangusthasana.

My experience with this pose is mainly during workshops/trainings. I - until now - rarely do it on my own.

Many of you have been in a workshop/training when John will ask for this pose -- everyone gets their leg up, straightens it, extends it out to the side, and then their neighbor holds the heel. My neighbors rarely get that opportunity, since my leg is still bent. Or, if I do get it extended, it's so low that they practically have to do a "side uttanasana" to reach the heel. That adds a little 'extra' to their experience; it does not, however, make me feel very good.

So, I am putting it out to the Universe -- I need help. I know that these components are essential:
  1. Stand straight (IS/OS, side body long)
  2. Bring leg up, clasp foot, with knee bent
  3. IS again, maintain upright posture
  4. OS as you take leg forward, pressing foot into hand

I also know that warm and lengthened hamstrings are an integral part of the pose. But, I get stuck when my hamstrings begin to scream and my back starts to round. Some of that 'stuck' is caused by fear that something is going to explode.

Suggestions?

At my first teacher training with John, he told us that we need to have 3 ways to say every instruction. This is because each student learns differently, and what rings for the majority may not compute for one -- so, we may need to re-phrase for that one. I am hopeful that someone will have a re-phrasing (or a component I'm missing), and I'll get it.

Enough -- just send a little bit of energy and your thoughts.

Enjoy Friday,

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Leslie,
I'd work with supta pada,extended thigh down..work with a strap.. or do some of Martins proprioeceptor exercises..you know leg at a 90 degree angle..hold..resist to a 10 count..extend leg deeper toward your outer shoulder..to open up hamstrings..I will manually move my hamstrings..hope that helps..it works for me..