Wednesday, May 13, 2009

ADHISUKSHMA

As I mentioned yesterday, these next 4 days will be my preparation to begin a 7-day Ayurvedic cleanse. I am participating in a teleconference with Cate Stillman (leader) and others (not sure how many - but, I do know they are from far afield, from Driggs, Idaho to Washington, DC, & Hong Kong!).

This is the first cleanse I have ever done (unless you can count a colonoscopy prep). So, you would be safe to say that I am a bit curious, nervous, and energized to do it. Especially after last night's conference call -- the kick-off to the pre-cleanse stage of the course.

Cate's regimen is simple, and she confesses that over the years she has been doing this, she has become less dogmatic in her approach. I have also always enjoyed Cate's common sense approach to Ayurveda -- making it understandable and do-able, one step at a time.

While I won't give you specific details (you'll have to do your own cleanse with Cate to find those out), I will say that one of the most impressive parts of last night's discussion, was the realization for me that this will be a practice of adhisukshma. Adhisukshma is a Sanskrit word meaning the study of the 'mental body'. So, rather than just focusing on what I am eating, how hungry I am, how my body feels -- I will also be paying a lot of attention to my mental state. And, taking care of it.

Some things we will do to 'take care of it': kick up the meditation; slow down the 'busy-ness'; avoid unnecessary e-mail & phone calls; in summary, give ourselves a week of slowed down mental activity.

All this, to awaken to the next level of perception.

Honestly, I had never thought of cleansing as much more than depriving the body of my coffee or desserts; as a week of self-imposed hunger. The concept of adhisukshma adds a level of insight to make it all more achievable.

Enjoy the day,

No comments: