Thursday, May 28, 2009

HOW EASY TO FORGET

As I become enmeshed in teaching yoga to students who have done the practice for a while, I often forget the beginning.

I try (very hard) to forget that I wore my socks to the first 3-4 yoga classes I attended. Not sure what I was thinking, but I was bound and determined NOT to remove those socks!

Also, I remember worrying that EVERYONE was watching me. And, my flexibility was about nil, so - in my opinion - it would have been fun to watch!

It also took me 3-4 efforts to get to the studio and get in the door -- it's pretty daunting to endeavor to try a totally different type of activity, no matter how good people tell you it is. It can be way out of our comfort zone.

Frequently, I receive e-mails from students who want to start. They worry about just what is involved, what do they wear, do they need equipment, do they take their shoes off, and - I'm sure - many just forego the practice because they're not sure exactly what yoga is or what it involves.

It is important for me to remember all of this when meeting a new student (new to the practice, that is). I have the 'power' to make or break their experience and their future in yoga. I want them to continue, even if it's not with me as their teacher or at my studio.

Such a powerful and beneficial practice should be part of more peoples' lives. Important to remember my role in making people feel welcome and valued.

Enjoy your day,

No comments: