Sunday, May 31, 2009

JUST AS I THOUGHT . . .

The group was welcoming and the teaching was great -- Karen's class yesterday.

Every instructor has his/her own style of teaching, developed over years of study. Karen's style is like you're sitting in her home, over a cup of tea, but she still has you work hard. She is relaxed, yet there is no question that you are learning and studying while in her presence.

My style is still developing (and, I'm sure will always develop). But, one of the greatest compliments paid me was by Sundari. She noted that, since I have studied with a number of teachers and very frequently with John, I don't sound like anyone else -- I sound like myself.

I've never really enjoyed listening to my voice. But, I also notice when an instructor sounds like his/her teacher -- using the same verbage and intonation. That's not a criticism, just an acknowledgement that their voice has yet to develop.

Thankfully, that part of my teaching doesn't need much more work -- according to Sundari, I have my own voice. Now, I need to work on making it say the right things at the right time and inspire people. Not an easy task -- always a work in progress.

Have a good day!

No comments: