Friday, June 19, 2009

GOING BACK

to the picture of me and my grandson, Jack. Wish I had some great yoga photo to use, but I don't; and I always look a bit surprised in my face shots -- so, this picture makes me look approachable, at least.

Speaking of Jack, I will see him this weekend. Each time there is so much change, it's amazing -- talking, physically more adept, even more fun. Then there's Brady -- a little charmer with the deepest dimples. I hear he's much more mobile since I was last with them, so he'll be fun too. Jack, I understand, is vying for more attention since this mobility has set in.

Ran into a different and new challenge in teaching this week -- the student who is unsuited for a class, and proceeds to do their own practice while I teach the other students a more gentle and therapeutic form of yoga practice.

My reaction -- to try to ignore and focus on the students who were appropriately in the class. Unfortunately, I observed that it was distracting to other students. We continued, everyone doing their best, following instructions (with one exception), and got through it.

What should I have done? Well, not sure. One opinion: I should have said something - which would certainly have been disruptive to the class. Another, that if this student appears in class again, that will be the time to talk -- before I begin teaching and find us in another uncomfortable situation. Since I didn't do option 1; I will do option 2 before beginning any class with this student.

In eavesdropping on a conversation this student was having after class (loudly - so, not hard to eavesdrop), it becomes apparent that her occupation is as a schoolteacher. I wonder what her reaction / action would have been if faced with a similar situation.

Interestingly, the situation created a rumble in me -- that of feeling upset about the impact on other students, and less than respected as the teacher. To resolve this, it will be important to say something when/if this student arrives in one of my classes again.

Enjoy Friday,

1 comment:

Judy said...

As a regular member of the class you mentioned, I thought that person extremely rude and distracting! Especially in the beginning when we were sitting, starting to focus on our practice and the theme of the day. She was doing some fancy downdog. Later she said after we all did a pose on the wall, "Amazing. you got them all to do it." How condescending to you and us. I don't mind if students amend a pose to make it harder (or easier), but they ought to at least be on the same page as the rest of the class!