Wednesday, June 24, 2009

HANUMAN POWER

I so enjoy teaching a class, watching people smile when they realize they've just done something they thought out of their realm of possibility.

My $4 yogahour class is moving along swimmingly -- a consistent group of students, with new ones sprinkled in here and there.

Yesterday, I decided it was time to move this group towards handstand.

Each person in the class had reasons they could have used to avoid "L" at the wall. I know that, they know that, but no one used a single one. Each took their mat to the wall, listened to instructions, and gave it a try. When it came time to try it again, this time lifting one leg at a time away from the wall, each did that without hesitation.

All did both legs, and - as I watched the last student finish up her second side - I glanced over my shoulder to see two doing it side by side for a third time!

Such a feeling of accomplishment for them (and me). Not just because they did it, but because they didn't let age, physical conditioning, past ailments, whatever get in their way.

When students step out of their comfort zone, I call it "Hanuman Power" (reflecting back on the story of Hanuman's power being temporarily stripped by the Sages -- that is, until someone reminded him that he had it all along, he'd just forgotten).

Enjoy your day,

No comments: