Saturday, July 25, 2009

BACK TO YOGA . . .

During the weekend workshop with Christina Sell, I was fortunate to hear from her some tips regarding the Certification process (she is a member of the Certification and, also, the Ethics Committees for Anusara® Yoga).

One major point - one I had given little thought to - is the role our students play in our quest to become Anusara® Certified. After all, I've gone to trainings, I've done the reading, I've practiced teaching, I've video'd classes, I, I, I. Think about it, though -- who is in those videos? Me and my students!

Unlike our Yoga Alliance registration, where we must demonstrate the number of hours spent studying, reading, practicing, teaching; the Certification process for Anusara® yoga is designed to be proof positive that all those hours have been effectively applied. How? OUR VIDEO!!!

As it was explained to me, the Certification Committee is not just looking at how I conduct the class -- i.e. do I get a theme and heart quality in there, do I do enough warming up of the students, do I demo effectively and when needed, does the sequence reflect movement towards the apex pose for that class, etc., etc., etc. The video reviewer is also watching the students -- do the students respond, do they do what I ask (and, if not, do I react appropriately), are the alignment principles visible in my students' poses, etc., etc., etc.?

Wow!

As it should be (and as it should have been), attention to this part of the process is a life-long effort -- not just to be done during preparation for and filming of my video. It will create a habit of paying attention, of diligence, of being demanding when needed, and of being a really good yoga teacher -- one who students can reflect on and think: 'she really paid attention to me; I felt seen in her class'.

So - point to remember, as I move forward. My students reflect my teaching ability; it's not just about me and how I perform.

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Doc Savage said...

Nice to know stuff since I'm just starting down the path toward certification. Got a load of books yesterday and the amount I want to read makes it look like I'll be reading for the next 10 years.