Wednesday, July 22, 2009

LET THE GAMES BEGIN

I have received notification from a government agency that the Independent Contractor status used by yoga instructors at my studio is in jeopardy (according to the auditor, it is already changed).

Because I truly believe my instructors are Independent Contractors (IC), I will appeal this determination. Yesterday, I responded to a letter of determination, addressing each of the auditor's findings with the reasons I feel instructors do meet the markers to continue as IC's.

I had procrastinated with this project (one of my always-present traits). Because of the workshop and other happenings at the studio, I had left the letter of determination unopened on my desk. Knowing, however, that I had a 15-day deadline to file an appeal, I opened the letter yesterday.

First reading - panic. Call my attorney, call my husband, try to breathe. After a pep talk from the attorney, I returned to the letter. Second, third & fourth reading - with adrenalin rising, I began to type and address each point set out by the auditor. Typing furiously, I was determined to get the letter finished before my 4 pm class. I finished a first draft. Sent a copy to the attorney and to my husband for their input/suggestions. Then, taught my class.

Response from both attorney & husband -- good letter; a few fine tuning adjustments & it will be good to go this morning.

Why do I tell you this in a yoga blog? Because over the weekend (and in the last month), I've seen the power of doing a yoga pose two times in a row, rather than just doing it once and calling it good (that is until the next practice). Yesterday, notice my reactions -- first read-through, panic; second and following read-throughs, calm & more measured response (also, just a bit angry). My other reason: it's good to vent after an adrenalin-raising event like this.

Just like the yoga poses -- first time through, unsure and wondering how it will turn out; second & following times, a more confident response from the body.

While I love to teach yoga, owning a yoga studio keeps throwing me these curve balls lately. It will also be my yoga to receive them, toss them up at least twice and re-catch them, then give it my best shot to respond effectively.

I'm keeping last week's "favorite" -- it will be good for me to keep that in mind as I move through this event in my life.

Wish me luck,

No comments: