Sunday, July 19, 2009

IT'S ABOUT THE JOURNEY

The title for this weekend's workshop with Christina Sell is Mid-Summer's Journey. Why? It's July, it's summer (and hot), and - for some of us - the journey in asana is as rewarding as the final product.

I flyfish. I don't catch much (haven't quite got the hang of "take'em!" yet; fyi, this term means set the hook and reel the fish in; then release). But, there's great satisfaction for me in casting the line and hook above that spot on the river where you know there's a big, lazy fish laying in wait for an unlucky bug to float by.

Casting to avoid rocks, overhanging bushes, the river's edge. Then, mending the line (which means flipping the fishing line back up the current so it doesn't warn the fish what's coming). Waiting, adjusting, watching the fly approach that waiting fish. If there's no fish there, or if I don't "take'em!", I pull the line in. Then do it again. All that is the enjoyment of flyfishing for me, even if I don't catch the 'big one'.

Yesterday's sessions with Christina involved morning - standing poses/arm balances; and afternoon - backbending. In each session I found the same enjoyment -- that of hearing instructions in a different voice than I'm used to, taking the steps towards each pose, knowing that they will happen - if not today, then soon; she's given me more tools. Progress was made in poses, awareness was created of actions previously overlooked, and - once again - it was fun.

We used the wall quite a bit yesterday, both morning and afternoon. As Christina explained it to us, we use the wall (or other props) to sharpen our skills, so that - next time, when we attempt similar poses in the middle of the room - we can reflect on those skills and apply them. I've used 'almost' language like that when I see resistance to a prop in the classes I teach; but, I need to remember her phrasing -- much more eloquent and reinforcing.

We also did many things twice. Amazing how much easier (or clear) the needed actions of a pose become the second time around. The first time you're just trying to absorb the instructions. The second time, you're applying them with a bit more confidence. Good to remember.

Well, today is a potpourri. We offered some suggestions at yesterday's end, so we'll see.

Enjoy your Sunday,

No comments: