Tuesday, July 21, 2009

ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING. . .

During my studies with John Friend and many other Anusara teachers, I have learned to listen. Once I hear the instruction, the next VERY IMPORTANT thing I've learned is to do EXACTLY what he or they tell me to do.

O.K., once in a while I do mix my right and left, but not often.

I learned this early with John -- he is nothing if not demanding about this aspect of our work with him. To not listen is a sign of disrespect. As a result, I carry this learned skill forward into each class I attend. I listen and I at least try to follow instructions and carry out my end of the bargain as the student. In Anusara classes, with a clear sequence leading to an apex pose, many times there are also safety reasons to do just what instructors tell us to do.

If you read much yoga philosophy or history, you will find a long lineage of just such a relationship between student and teacher. The student has always been expected to do the instructor's bidding (so long as it is within proper & ethical boundaries).

The tendency to vary is a recent phenomenon; and perhaps the result of many yoga instructors saying "do whatever your body feels like doing" or "go with the emotions you are feeling". Not bad instructions, but not necessarily safe instructions, either.

Now, to communicate that same message to students in my classes.

If you read back a month or so in this blog, you will find an entry about a student who attended my Gentle Yoga class and did her own practice contrary to the instructions I was offering everyone. Not one of my prouder moments. That morning, for all she got out of my class, she could have stayed home and done her practice, and not offended 8 other people.

I encountered a milder, but similar situation as I subbed a class yesterday. Students who have yet to learn the finer points of studentship and forged ahead without my instruction into a deeper variation of Vasisthasana (side plank) called 'Wild Thing'. Not a bad next step, if you've received the instruction to go there.

After a weekend with Christina, watching - listening - admiring her command of the group, I feel better equipped to deal with such happenings. So, what did I do? I called their bluff. We did a little further exploration of 'Wild Thing', Christina Sell-style. They watched, this time they listened, and the second time around, each had achieved the pose from a different, more challenging approach.

As we moved on in the practice, I kept this tendency towards variance in mind. I even prefaced some instructions with cautionary notes -- like 'do not raise your leg until I tell you to'. I kind of felt like a drill sargeant. On the other hand, I also felt good and in command.

What a rant! Thank you for reading, if you made it this far.

Have a good Tuesday,

No comments: