Wednesday, August 19, 2009

THE KULA

One of the many things I love about Anusara® yoga is the kula -- the community.

There are three things that define and set Anusara® apart from other yoga styles (we discussed this at length with John in Tucson, March 2009):
  1. Anusara® yoga instructors look for the good in all people and things. That's why, when I approach a student, hopefully I preface any recommendations with the positive I am seeing. We hear this over and over in our trainings and workshops. How many of you like to have someone approach you with a "Lift your left leg" command? I'd much rather hear "Leslie, your right leg looks straight and strong; now engage and lift your left leg to fully support the pose." I'll do almost anything for an instructor who sees and acknowledges my positive first.
  2. There is a method / plan in place for each class. Each class is planned in advance with a theme/message, and the poses are sequenced to take the class to an apex (peak) pose. So, if I want a class to do urdhva dhanurasana (wheel or full backbend) as the apex pose, I will sequence poses leading to it that will prepare back, shoulders, legs for this apex. Similar planning is used to wind down from the apex. This happens for each class.
  3. We have a kula (community) to support and enrich our teaching. I know that other styles of yoga also would claim this; and, I can't dispute that. I do know that I feel supported by everyone, from John Friend to the person I meet for the first time at an Anusara® workshop or training who I trust to help me into handstand. We all feel part of something bigger than ourselves that can serve to make us better yoga students and teachers.
I received a call yesterday from a woman with whom I have gotten acquainted at several workshops and trainings. Even though we have not seen each other for 8 months, and have only met in yoga settings and an associated dinner/lunch, it was easy to settle into an easy banter, make plans for a future training. Just like old friends - sharing news, talking about future plans - the kula in action.

Additionally, the blog I referenced a day or so ago (Dakota Yogi), is written by a yoga teacher I have never met. Yet, the kula of Anusara® Yoga has brought us together via Facebook and our blogs. Our mutual love of Anusara® makes it easy to be friends and to communicate with one another without ever meeting (though, I hope to meet Doc, in person, someday soon).

For me, the Anusara® method gives me what most of us desire:
  1. Recognition (what's good about me, then what can we do to improve it)
  2. A plan (we all want to know where we're headed, and not go there blindly)
  3. Friendship and camaraderie along the way (the best)

Here's to the Kula,

1 comment:

Doc Savage said...

Great thoughts and very true. I knew from the first class I took with Adam that I was going to dig Anusara. Then the Grand Gathering just flat ROCKED!!! So many great yogis all here to support each other. Jaya Anusara Yoga