Thursday, August 20, 2009

WRITING

I have always enjoyed writing, but never explored it too much. As is my nature, I probably thought I had little to offer the 'reading' world; so, why bother.

This past year, I've ventured beyond typing copious notes from workshops and trainings, to writing this blog, to writing letters (and a vacation journal) for my grandsons, and - now - to setting some of my experiences down in more detail. I've submitted one article to Anusara's® website and it now appears in Kula News.

The title is "Yoga for Everyone" and describes my experience teaching a volunteer yoga class at the SLC Jail. I have shared teaching responsibilities for this class for 5 years (!!!). I won't go into all the details (if you're interested, you can check out the article on the website). Suffice it to say, it is another example of 'Leslie stepping out of her comfort zone.'.

As I was excitedly re-reading my submission last night, I took a few extra minutes to read BJ Galvan's account of her adventures in South America. Wow! BJ is a wonderful writer and her article is full of great descriptive phrases, and tons of shri -- photos, too!

Back to my writing -- how do I get 'shri' into clanging metal doors, serious & not-to-be-fooled-with officers, potential uncomfortable teaching situations? Well, maybe my next article I'll do better at that aspect.

We can't all be in shri-filled situations, can we? Or, maybe we have to look for the shri in the fact that students in the jail are there for the same reasons as the students in Peru -- to experience yoga, to know more about themselves, and to create beauty in their lives (tho my students probably wouldn't say it that way).

For me, the shri was in just writing the article, editing and proofing it, submitting it, and waiting (I submitted it about the time the website was undergoing a big re-vamping). It's a bit of me out there for people to read, to learn more about me and that big population of non-mainstream type student waiting (unknowlingly?) for yoga.

I taught my Gentle Yoga class yesterday -- wide spectrum of challenging students. Samples: post back surgery, severe balance issues, hip replacement, newer to yoga and a bit stiff. I love teaching this group; they are so appreciative, so happy to be moving, and represent the kula at its best.

Today, I teach YogaHour at 4 pm -- one hour, $4 -- not a bad deal for students. For me, I feel more free when teaching this group. Not sure why; maybe because it is a less-formal format. We work hard, but we also laugh; it's fun for me and them.

If you have completed your Immersions & a Level I Teacher Training, check out Christina Sell's next offering -- an on-line mentoring group to help you through next steps. Videos, teaching, applications, etc., etc., etc. If you hope to apply for Certification, and don't have a mentor yet to work with you until you apply, this is a good 'next step'.

Enjoy your Thursday,

1 comment:

Doc Savage said...

Shri flows in so many differnet ways. Guys, since I are one I can say this, have huge egos and are slow to let the guard down on the outside. But maybe the person on the inside that they can't let the jail world see is saying "That was pretty cool and I really do feel better." And the Karma you're getting back from even making an effort to help another person will be 10 fold. Shanti