Wednesday, August 5, 2009

SECRETLY SMILING

We met our son and his family at the airport yesterday. I was surprised at the level of excitement I felt as their arrival approached. I'm always happy to see them, but they've never come (as a foursome) to our turf; we've always gone there.

So, I left early for the airport and waited anxiously in the park&wait lot. Then drove up to the short-term parking, also a few minutes earlier than needed (but, with the valid excuse that I wanted to use the restroom before their arrival). Just as I walked in, Derek called from the plane which was sitting on the tarmac waiting for a gate (Jack, the almost 3-yr-old) can be heard in the background telling me he is on the plane.) So, Howard and I wait.

20 (or 30) minutes later, the family can be seen coming towards us. It's important to note, that part of my secret wish was that, upon seeing me, Jack would run straight to me and into my arms.

What happened?

Exactly that! There was a slight hesitation, since both Howard and I were there -- like 'who should I go to'; lucky for me, he decided to come my way first. Wow! What fun these grandkids are! Even Brady, who is approaching 1 yr., was all smiles and willing to be picked up and embraced. (Remember, because they live in California, we see these little people just once every few months, or so; making this reunion - and the associated reactions - even more remarkable.)

Oh, and lest I forget -- Jess & Derek (parents of these wonderful children - our son & daughter-in-law), were met with hugs, as well.

We visited for a short time, helped herd kids and baggage for a bit, made restroom stops, changed diapers, loaded our SUV (boy, am I glad we put the cartop carrier on!), and sent them on their way to Idaho. We (Howard and I) were exhausted -- we've traveled with one child (Derek) many years ago, but never two, and there's a whole industry out there creating things you must have. I know those 'things' make life easier, it's just a LOT to carry around (car seats, portable cribs, stroller, not to mention baggage).

I loved being greeted with so much love. I secretly smile and get goosebumps each time I think about that reunion. It was all I hoped for, but didn't dare let myself anticipate. Then - the final 'icing on the cake' -- Jack cried as they drove away, when he learned he wouldn't see us again until tonight!

Back to yoga -- today I teach my Gentle Yoga group, and then do a presentation to a large group of IRS employees.

What does the IRS want with yoga? A way to relax / de-stress. What better group for that?

The reactions will be interesting to observe. I did a similar presentation to a group of Juvenile Justice employees -- very 'mainstream' Utah. While they did everything I asked them to, I always wonder how effective it was; as in, did they use any of the techniques I taught them?

I always love an opportunity to talk about yoga and the affect it can have on our lives -- if it just sparks the curiosity of one (or a few) of these 120 folks, I'll feel very grateful.

Enjoy your day,

No comments: