Saturday, September 26, 2009

CLEANING . . .

Who ever said the life of a yoga instructor and studio owner was glamorous? At one time, watching my instructors, I might have thought so. However, over the years, I've come to understand that this life is hard work and study, with lots of "don't take it personally" involved, and lots of "being on" (as in "on stage").

I am not complaining about anything in the first paragraph; because, even with the work of moving towards Certification, it still is rewarding and fun.

That is, however, until you find yourself scrubbing the toilets/sinks/floor, washing blankets, straightening props, vacuuming (or sweeping). Hard to keep the eye on the goal during these moments. I think I mentioned a meditative approach yesterday.

My task yesterday was to clean the studio, teach my class, do the blankets. During the morning, I got a "HELP!" call from a fellow instructor, needing a sub. So, between teaching & cleaning at my own studio, I drove to a corporate location and taught a class for her. Fun & nice group of people. Very pampered -- great fitness facility. Back to the task at hand.

At the studio, I got the blankets loaded (36 blankets takes about 4-5 trips to safely make it up and down the stairs and into the car), found my stash of quarters, grabbed soap and softener, and off to the laundromat. Once there - another 4 trips to carry the load in and distribute it among the "super-duper, extra heavy duty washers", insert quarters (did I have enough? -- once I cashed in my $10 bill, I did). Then wait -- walk to the bank for more $$$ for the dryers, grab a sandwich, scarf down half of the sandwich, and back to the laundromat.

The washers had finished. Now, into the dryers (which weren't heavy duty) and would effectively hold 4-5 blankets each. Luckily it was a quiet day at the laundromat I chose - lots of "dryer availability". Load 'em up, insert quarters, wait. (Forgot to bring a book, darn! So, I watched activity around and in the laundromat.) Time ended, not quite dry, more quarters, more waiting.

Finally, done -- folding hot blankets is HOT work. I was sweating as I tried to remain meditative. Decided that the meditative part might have to happen next time.

So much for the laundromat saga -- why write this? Because I have to tell someone, and my husband just looks too distracted as I tell him -- therefore you're my captive audience. That is, if you made it past the first or second paragraph.

I asked a new student the other day (one who is participating in a local teacher training) about her training. All the while, I wondered: "why do all these people want to be yoga teachers?" I'm sure they would have lots of great, dharmic reasons to give you. None of those would include "so I can wash blankets". I'll let them find that out themselves -- but, remember, if you desire to own a studio -- remember my blanket washing saga, and find a willing volunteer.

I do love teaching and practicing yoga, it's the blankets that get me.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it! (Thanks, Cindy, for the line; and - by the way - my triceps hurt like heck. See you Tuesday for more.)

Enjoy your weekend,

3 comments:

Claudia said...

Leslie, as an intermittently-frequent student at your studio, let me please say now, if I have not ever before, how much I appreciate the fact that the blankets are clean and smell of not much other than that. If they were nasty, I would probably be more intermittent and less frequent!! So, praise be the clean blankets, and your efforts. - Claudia

Leslie Salmon said...

Teaching this a.m., I was almost giddy -- can clean blankets have that affect on a person? Maybe they can.

Doc Savage said...

Hey I have almost the same blanket story. I love the look you get a the laundry when you roll out 30+ mexican blankets. You get weird questions. One lady thought I had them all over the walls of my house and thought that would be a nice look. Clean blankets and mats do make folks happy

Shanti