Sunday, September 13, 2009

A FIRST ---

Well, if you read my blog, you know that John Friend is in town for a weekend workshop.

I haven't done a ton of hard-core Anusara® classes lately (and, if you know me, my personal practices are far from pushing myself into places I don't want to go, necessarily), so I decided to go up for the early Mixed Level session (which is the least intense of the sessions being offered). Just to kind of 'test the water', so to speak.

Lying in Savasana after those first 2 hours, I thought -- why not do the next session (more intense, more challenging). So, I did it. 10 minutes in, all good; 30 minutes in, still doing fine;
50 or so minutes in, with upper arm trembling in Trichonasana (triangle), I wondered if this had been the right decision. Pride kicked in and kept me going. Vasisthasana with a knee down, while every one else had a leg lifted and extended -- oh well, at least I did it with integrity. Made it / survived / still moving.

A short break, and back into the afternoon session of the Mixed Level. Afternoon sessions, as many of you know, usually include longer discussions at the start then seated poses/twists/more calming work. Made it.

On to the afternoon session of the Intermediate/Advanced with some trepidation. Fueled by an iced coffee (with melted ice - not being ungrateful, Cindy, just factual), I dove in. Thank you, Cindy, for that coffee.

Finished it -- finished all FOUR sessions (about 7.5 hours of actual physical movement through the asana) -- while not all poses reached their full expression, I'm happy. (I forgot to mention that this work also included 3 full urdhva dhanurasanas (backbends).)

Going back early this morning. For sure the Mixed Level is appropriate for someone who is a bit tired and has some sore muscles; I'll let you know what happens. Who knows, I might just push myself a bit further today, as well.

It won't be because of pride, however; it will be because I'll remember how good I felt yesterday lying in the 4th savasana of the day. I will listen to my body and I will be smart about it; but I won't take the easy way out.

Enjoy your Sunday,

No comments: