Friday, September 11, 2009

THREE THINGS . . .

First, this is post #150. Wow! Who would have thought I'd still be doing this 150 posts later; certainly not me. My track record has a long of history of dramatic starts and slow fizzles (except, that is, for my family, my yoga and - now - this blog).

Second, John Friend this weekend in Park City. Thinking strongly about taking it all in -- Mixed Level and Intermediate/Advanced.

Speaking of John, the phrase "it is yoga throughout every phase of the pose, not just the final form" keeps coming back to me in the most wonderful ways. This morning I received an e-mail from a young man (21-ish) who wandered into The Yoga Center last summer and asked to take some of our classes. During our initial talk, he indicated that he was returning from a rough mountain climb in Pakistan, and was taking some time to rest and regain his strength. Two months ago, Kyle returned to mountain climbing.

This morning I received my first e-mail from him -- he's in Pakistan after a hairy (and scary) time in China. He climbed many peaks in China, but it was the political climate that was the scary part. Back to my point. Here is what I read from his e-mail that struck me:

"If success in this wonderful sport is measured by the number of summits you stand on then the last month of climbing in China has been the most successful trip I have ever been on. However, I don't believe summits are the proper medium from which we should measure. We all departed the mountains safely, sunburned and smiling. We formed networks of trust, friendships, and camaraderie. We endured elements. Fueled motivations. Laughed. Cried. And because of it all, we were able to wear costumes on virgin summits, several times. "

More and more, I see that it's all yoga; everything we do is our yoga.

Third, my first of the 3-class series was great! Not number-wise, but results-wise. (The numbers are my fault, since I didn't do all I could to promote the series. Next time.) To have people look at me and say "I've never felt so powerful in my practice", and "this is so great" was medicine for my soul. What fun! And, the two hours flew by for me and them.

Never forget,

No comments: