Friday, September 18, 2009

VIDEO REVIEW

Contrary to my plan (which was to mail my class video to Sundari, sight unseen by me), I decided to take a day and watch it. After all, she is in Montana doing a workshop at the studio in Polson - so, no point in getting it there before next Monday.

It is still painful to watch myself teach in a video. I think I've mentioned this in blog entries before. Every little thing about me becomes painfully obvious -- posture (mine), voice (nervous), laughter (mine, not students), a less-than-effective cue (why straighten the knee as students move from Warrior II back to a lunge?), etc.

The good news is that - as much as I disliked the things I saw, I observed more things that reflected improvement. The class I video'd was one I was subbing (hence the excessive nervousness), I took the seat of the teacher. I could see myself watching, adjusting where needed. I used some theme-oriented languaging, tho not as much as some (but, six months ago, there was none - so, this is an improvement). I had an effective theme and heart quality to use, and I did refer back to it during the class and during my summation.

Christina tells me that the video review committee does look at the students in our video. No matter what I tell the students (i.e. "This is just so they can see me teaching."), committee members are watching the students. They want to make sure that students are doing what is asked of them. They are also looking at the way in which students are performing the asana. So, double pressure.

No matter what, it's going to Sundari today.

Taught my second of the 3-class Basics Series last night. Seeing great work from the students who have chosen to attend. After my weekend yoga marathon, I see a shift in my teaching and practice. These students will, hopefully, see similar shifts. Having committed to a class series, doing more yoga in one session than a normal class, and doing a lot of thinking about their yoga (rather than just moving / following instructions through a class), can only bring about shifts.

Enjoy your Friday,

No comments: