Wednesday, September 16, 2009

VINDICATION

Well, even the video man (a professional) is struggling getting my video from camera to disc. I feel better, like I didn't give up for no good reason.

So, it's Wednesday -- Gentle Yoga day. Working on something different for that group. Even people with a limited repertoire to their yoga practice want to experience different movement and poses. This class requires a bit of study -- how to give them something different that will not intimidate or scare them, AND be fun.

I notice when someone new comes into this class, that fear is sometimes the overriding emotion. If they have an injury, or another physical-type issue, or even if they haven't moved for a while, they are a bit nervous about just what they are going to encounter.

Have you ever looked at the magazine, Yoga Journal, and wondered how you would feel if you wanted to start yoga, but were out of shape, maybe a bit overweight, or struggling with an injury or other physical condition? Granted, there are some articles about therapeutic and gentle yoga classes. However, the majority of pictures and articles are for the more practiced yogi (one who is also beautifully clothed). I'd be nervous too.

Part of the teaching for this population, then, includes not scaring them out of the room. Keeping it calm, letting them experience success, and allowing them to leave the room feeling empowered and better about themselves. I hope I do that. The fact that my class is growing in the number of regular attendees is a sign that something is going well.

I just got a message from a friend who has moved from the area, and is now searching for a 'yoga home'. Her first experience: a yoga instructor with a bullying nature, a bit mean-spirited.

Fortunately, she knows that not all yoga instructors are like that, so her search continues. What about the new student (never done yoga before), who comes into our class and has a bad experience? Do you think that person will try again? Hopefully, they will. My worry, tho, is that they won't -- they'll move on, try something else, and miss out on this wonderful, therapeutic practice.

Hope this all makes sense. Just writing words as they pop into my head. Bear with me, I'll re-read this, make adjustments, and print. There's a message in here, you just have to find it.

Enjoy your day,

No comments: