Tuesday, September 15, 2009

THE VIDEO'S IN THE MAIL

Almost. I finally said "uncle" and took my video camera into the professionals. They are taking the video of a class I taught and transferring it to a disc. That disc will be mailed to Sundari - hopefully, before mail leaves SLC today.

What a process! I had (two years ago) spouted to friends and family: "Certified By Sixty" or "CBS". I even thought about having a t-shirt printed with that motto on it. Glad I didn't.

So, here I am, almost sixty (November), not certified, but still working towards that goal. It won't happen by sixty, but it will happen - someday.

Almost forgot -- I wanted to write about something that originally cemented my loyalty to Anusara® and John Friend. So here is the story:

In 2003, I attended my first training with John at Inner Harmony. Unfortunately, I had to leave the training early, due to a death in the family. At my next workshop with John (Tucson, 2004), I went up to him to thank him for his support and to tell him of all the notes and e-mails I had received upon my earlier departure.

During that short conversation, someone came up to us. That person was assertive and began talking; interrupting our conversation. John quickly, and nicely, put up his hand and asked the person to wait a moment. To say I was impressed is mild. John didn't know me very well, yet he realized that I needed to verbalize my feelings and he was not going to let the moment be lost to an unwitting intruder.

Similarly, the other night, as we chatted after dinner at David's (see previous post), I began a short story about a friend's first exposure to John. I was interrupted. John took care to acknowledge the interruption, and - after their comments were done - turned his attention back to me. I finished the story.

These small courtesies - not allowing interruptions; or perhaps allowing them, acknowledging them, and returning to the conversation - are so memorable. They are the stuff from which loyalty, trust, and friendship grow. I never forget them, and I will pass them on to everyone I meet. So important.

Enjoy your day,

No comments: