Sunday, October 25, 2009

AUSPICIOUS MOMENTS

Each day of this training has brought with it auspicious moments -- whether in or out of the classroom.  Some examples: 
  • One morning, as I stepped out onto the porch, I looked up the drive towards the road.  We have a log arch over our driveway entrance.  Sitting on it that morning were the owls.  If you follow my blog, you'll remember the two owls from a month or so back.  They have appeared this Fall, sitting in trees on our property - hopefully, getting fat from the moles burrowing through our lawn.  I went back inside to tell the others to come look.  Just as we stepped back out onto the deck, the owls swooped past us, right over the top of my car.  Everyone tells me owls are auspicious; Bonnie (from Montana) tells me that the tribal members from the Flathead Reservation relate owls to change. 
  • Discovering new ways to look at pieces of art in the museum is, in itself, auspicious -- I will never walk through a museum or gallery again without paying attention. 
  • Listening and hearing my fellow students in this training.  Many blogs back I wrote about the skill of listening -- I am re-learning and practicing those skills here.  Attitude - making up my mind to listen attentively; Aligning - making eye contact, not diverting to other - maybe more interesting - things; and Action - being open to what is being said; as in, not allowing my own opinions to enter the conversation until the speaker has finished and I've taken a breath.  
  • Standing in line to refill coffee, and turning to the gentleman behind me.  Made some light conversation, introduced myself.  Discussed the art.  Met his wife.  Who were they?  Very generous patrons of the museum, who had just sponsored (definition: given) a major work of art to the museum, which was hung during our training.   
  • John Friend calling yesterday morning at 10:45 am (a Saturday, mind you, after weeks of travel and before more weeks of travel), to offer his blessings and some comments for us to remember during this training and as we teach. 
  • Finding the blue flashlight (a more practical auspicious moment - but, nevertheless, important in the life on one cute 3-year-old).
Wow!  A lot for one week.  All that, plus learning more, adding more to my chest of teaching skills, watching myself teach and thinking "I do know this stuff", etc., etc., etc.

It will be a shorter day today.  9-4 or 4:30.  But, by the time we finish, load the blankets and blocks I brought, and hit the road, it will probably be 5:30 or 6.  Driving home tonight - 5 hours or so. 

Have a great Sunday,

No comments: