Friday, October 16, 2009

BACK IN THE MIDDLE

Yesterday morning was definitely a low point for me -- writing about the issues that have affected my studio was a release valve, allowing me let go of some of the emotions surrounding the "why me?" of all this.  Of course, that meant I dumped it all on you - my loyal readers. 

This morning things feel lighter.  There are still the same issues to deal with, but having told 'you' has lightened the emotional load. 

I also was able yesterday, after writing, to do some study (as in yoga study).  For some reason, that element of my life brings me back from the edge.  Why?  (There has to be a theme in here!)

Perhaps a theme using the word 'resolute' (having or showing a fixed, firm purpose; determined; resolved; unwavering).  I just went to yourdictionary.com, looked up resolute and followed a trail of words.  Came to the word 'consistent', for which the first definition was 'holding together; firm'. 

When I examine my yoga life, I see that it has a significant dose of 'resolute' in it -- I have a goal, I do not plan to let go of that goal.  If I look at the elements of life that are threatening to sidetrack me from that goal (in particular, studio issues), I see the word 'consistent' emerge -- as in, hold it together.  Stressful?  Yes.  Purposeful?  Yes.  Worth the effort?  Double Yes. 

My class last night - Yoga Specific (for which the theme was "discipline leads to freedom") engaged a small, but mighty group.  All but one arrived with a physical issue that affected the direction the class would take -- shoulders, wrists, fibromyalgia.  But all did everything I asked, giving it their best shot working with their obstacles in a disciplined manner (discipline here meaning self-control, orderly, coupled with the synonym, moderation).  And, I loved what teaching that group asked of me -- to be flexible, to change up my sequence a bit to allow for the issues presented, to be compassionate, to be a cheerleader.  So much different than standing at the front or side of the room, issuing instructions.  That class was - to me - really teaching yoga.

Today - Gentle Yoga, then who knows what will happen - always an adventure at The Yoga Center of SLC. 

TGIF,

No comments: