Thursday, October 15, 2009

THE STRAW . . .

If you were to look back over the (my) past six months, you would not exactly say they were filled with joyous and delightful moments.  As I begin to write, the thought in the back of my mind -- don't turn this into a 'poor me' diatribe.  It'll be hard, but I'll try. 
  1. It began with the road construction around the studio.   All the businesses in my little strip mall are suffering -- at least (according to the landlord), I'm paying the rent pretty much on time. 
  2. Then the Department of Workforce reared their head, inquiring about the independent contractor status of yoga instructors, and targeting my studio as their 'test' case(?).  Lots of time spent dealing with that and I thought it was somewhat resolved. 
  3. Throw in a few instructor changes and that adds some spice to the mix. 
  4. Then, the housekeeper - who I had to let go because it just didn't make economic sense.  I'm cleaning the studio now. 
  5. Almost forgot the furnace -- to be replaced & my rent will increase nominally (the landlord is cognizant of economic issues, thank goodness).
  6. Back to Workforce issues -- they would now like to investigate additional instructors who've taught for me in subsequent years.  Initially, they asked just to bill me for those -- no way, if they want money, they are going to have to work for it.  So, I can look for questionnaires to everyone, responses, appeal letter, appeal, etc.
The up-side to all of this -- there have got to be a ton of themes for my Anusara-Inspired™ classes in here.

Speaking of themes, I've been working with them a lot lately -- as in studying the process for development of a theme for an Anusara® class.  This study has clarified the difference between
  1. Personal to Universal - develop a theme from my personal experience, something that I've done or experienced (could be as simple as something my dogs did during the day).  Then, the next step is to make it relatable (can my students understand and see similar things/issues in their lives).  There's a couple other key pieces and parts; but, basically it's taking something from my life as a theme.
  2. Universal to Personal - develop a theme from a yogic principle, a story, a quote, even from a word.  Then make that relatable as I did #1. 
You can tell this dominates my thought process right now, because I woke up in the night thinking -- 'now I understand, I should write about it'. 

So, it's Thursday -- I'll go to Wayne's class (he's been on vacation, so - welcome him home), then got to pick up the snowblower (which we've taken pro-active measures to make sure it's ready for winter), then Costco for some studio supplies, I teach at 4pm (YogaHour), and again at 5:45 (Yoga Specific).  My topic for tonight's Yoga Specific class:  discipline (remember Universal to Personal?). 

Each Thursday evening is a different topic - tonight's "Discipline Leads to Freedom".  I am hoping for a good turn out, but I worry that, based on comments I've heard, people are thinking of  "discipline" as a negative - as in holding poses longer, working in a more 'bootcamp' manner.  Not so.  Discipline also means 'training that develops self-control, character, or orderliness and efficiency'.

So, my thought for this class, practicing with discipline will develop more attention to detail in our practice -- leading to more freedom in our practice. 

The studio will host an Open House this Sunday evening, 6:30-8:30pm.  Celebrating our anniversary.  All reading this from our area are invited.  We'd love to see you!

Enjoy your day,

No comments: