Saturday, October 3, 2009

BUSY WEEK

I try not to use the term "I'm too busy" as a reason for not doing something (or forgetting); but, this week would be the exception. It has been a busy week -- very little down time (as in, naps), lots of teaching, and lots of thinking, cleaning, errands, etc.

So, I'll just do a blog of thoughts today -- it's the easiest some days, to just write what bubbles to the surface.

On Monday, I spent time with Sundari helping her pack to move and getting feedback regarding the video I had sent a week or so ago. I am going to switch gears here and just say, that a friend who will look at and critique a video while in the middle of a move is a blessing and a friend, indeed. Now, back to the evaluation.

Her overall thought: I am so much better, I take the seat of the teacher, I stand so much taller (which I was relieved to hear, because one of my first reactions when I watched an early video was "STAND UP STRAIGHTER, LESLIE") -- all good stuff.

One of her suggestions is that I "move in". As she watched, she could see me walking in front, shifting from side to side, and going in to adjust where needed. What she wants to see more of is teachers "moving in". I know what she means, and will try to explain: Often, I stay on the periphery and do the requisite moving from front to side, and adjusting. Her thought -- that I must 'move in' and really interact with the individual students, as well as the group; let them know I care.

So, this week, that has been my mission -- to "move in". It's been fun. I use the story of Sundari's observation, pick out a student well known to me, and really "move in to their space", as I demonstrate to the rest of the class they can expect more of this in the future. Eeks, maybe they won't come back!?! But, I think they will -- if they know I'm doing it for their good, for their best interests.

I subbed for Wayne on Thursday -- some people stayed away; oh well, don't take it personally. Those that came got a good dose of parvritta trichonasana, plus other twists thrown in. As much as I dislike doing that pose (PT), I enjoy teaching it.

Thursday was also the first day of my "YOGA SPECIFIC" class. Thursdays are historically an evening of low attendance at my studio. The instructor who had been teaching returned to school, so I decided to begin a class that focuses on different pieces and parts each week. Hopefully, I thought, I could get other instructors interested and share the teaching (also a dicey experiment, since some students love only their one instructor). Topic for this last Thursday: "Backs - the good, the bad, and the just plain stiff". I taught and six (6) people came -- I emphasize 6, because in the last 6 months there haven't been that many people in this studio on a single Thursday night. Fun class, fun people in attendance, some with glitchy backs, others with o.k. backs.

Friday's a day of teaching, paperwork and cleaning. The teaching is fun; the rest, no comment. It does feel good, tho, when I'm done. Short meeting with a new website guy -- not changing the website, but I need someone who can help when there's a glitch or a new bit of information to put on the site. I think this will work.

Teaching both classes this morning - Anusara-Inspired™ Level 1 and Yoga Basics.

Also, CHECK THIS OUT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXRVGQxQX-w. A video of Yoga Center instructors, with background music by Michael Lucarelli.


Have a good weekend,

No comments: