Sunday, October 4, 2009

GOTTA DO THE WORK ...

Saturday's classes were fun. Apparently, I'm on a PT kick (parvritta trichonasana). The early group (Anusara-Inspired™ Level 1) got a good dose of this pose.

Even though I don't enjoy the pose, I can see it's potential (even for me). It's a great pose to teach
  1. the value of muscle energy, especially in the legs,
  2. the value of side body long (so much easier to get twisted if you have a long spine), and
  3. the value of listening to yourself (is it wise for me to take that top arm up, or should I just work with the hand on my hip moving shoulder blades more firmly on the back as I open towards the front leg?)

to name a few.

There's also the value, when teaching this pose, of students really experiencing the entry and exit of the pose -- demonstrating that the pose is NOT just about getting to the final expression; it's a journey in and out.

The second class, Yoga Basics, I subbed. Not as many in attendance as usual (don't take it personally, Leslie). Those that were there, tho, were willing and eager to do what I asked. I felt good about it and - based on the after-class discussion - I think they did, as well.

Went up Big Cottonwood canyon to check out the color -- a tradition for us each year. Had lunch at the Silver Fork Lodge, then back home.

It's raining today, with a bit of lightning and thunder.

Enjoy your day,

No comments: