Tuesday, October 6, 2009

NOTES . . .

Well, it's Tuesday and it feels like a 'notes' day. So here goes,

Yesterday was pretty busy -- the day started innocently enough, that is until I listened to phone messages at 8 am and was reminded that I had a dentist appointment at 8:30 am.

This was for a crown 'installation', so it was not to be missed. Rarely do I move this quickly when getting ready -- shower, dress, make-up, hair & in the car by 8:16 am. Then the drive -- stoplights were with me until I got to the University area, then they all plotted against me, I'm sure. Made it to the dentist at 8:38. Of course, they were waiting and whisked me back. Within 45 minutes, crown was 'installed' and I was out the door. Whew!

From there, it was on to Pilates with Cindy. She invited me to a class, rather than doing a private with her. Interesting how the energy shifts when you are in a group of students, as opposed to being the only one in the room. You find yourself a bit more challenged and a bit more willing to do the more challenging stuff. Could that be a bit of competitiveness? Whatever it was, it was fun.

On to the studio. A brief discussion with Mary after her class, about studio stuff & workforce stuff. She is such a good 'sounding board' for me -- everyone needs someone like that in their life.

Once Mary left, it was on to paperwork and studio stuff. We've had road construction on all sides of the studio since April. It didn't affect us in May, June or July; but, August - coupled with back to school activities and last-minute vacations - was a disaster. I am now digging out of that hole. As a result, instructors and I met. We've made some adjustments in prices, which students will begin experiencing today. Don't panic students -- these aren't huge; just in line with the rest of the area. It was time.

Which brings me to marketing. Interesting that we are in business but reluctant to market ourselves (here I'm speaking of instructors, not the studio). The studio is marketing some, but there isn't a ton of money for that effort right now. It is important that the instructors market themselves. This can be as simple as sending an e-mail to current and new students - something I'm encouraging; we'll see if they embrace or reject my encouragement.

I believe a lot of our success is created by how much our students feel valued by us - as in me (the instructor). If I acknowledge them - both in and out of class, by simply letting people know I am aware they're supporting me, how can that be a bad thing? Any thoughts for or against?

Enjoy your Tuesday,

No comments: