Tuesday, October 13, 2009

NOW A NEW FURNACE . . .

Yesterday went much as planned -- cleaning studio, studio paperwork, a few errands, pilates with Cindy, and home to cook dinner (which I burned).  I have never professed to be a good cook.

The day went sort of like the previous 6-8 weeks have gone -- almost every day has presented a challenge - some big, some small.  Yesterday's, the news that the studio will need a new furnace.  Not necessarily a bad thing since the old one runs like a truck.  Instructors must raise their voices several decibel levels when it does kick on.  Then it warms up, gets too warm, we turn it down and it takes about 15 minutes to shut itself off.  So, not the ideal situation. 

However, replacing it this weekend (as the landlord proposes), is not ideal either.  Furnace replacement is not necessarily a silent activity.  I remember - from home experience - that there's lots of clanging, lots of moving around, lots of equipment going out and coming in, doors opening, doors closing. 

Yoga classes, even yoga classes that have gotten used to the constant noise and vibration of road construction outside, will NOT be optimal (see definition of optimal:  most favorable or desirable). 

Then, there's the fact that I've planned an Open House to celebrate the studio's anniversary this Sunday from 6:30 to 8:30 pm.  Invited all students, posted fliers, invited friends and family, and encouraged instructors to do likewise.  Michael, who created our video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXRVGQxQX-w), will be playing his guitar during this event.  Would the furnace work be done?  Or, would we be listening to wonderful guitar over the clang, bang, etc., of furnace installation?

Now, we get to the cost -- my landlord has graciously told me that I must pay for the furnace ('it's in my lease').  Interestingly, I've never signed a lease.  I also don't think that replacing a furnace is my responsibility.  They've suggested a modest increase in rent to cover paying for it.  Reasonable.  But, if I move or - heaven forbid - go out of business, do I still owe them for the balance of the furnace?  You must think about that if you are going to be paying $20 or $25 each month to pay off a debt of thousands.  (I just did the math -- on a debt of $2,000, it would take 6+ years to pay off; will I still own or want to be owning a studio that long?)

I've been hearing a friend talk about 'spanda' - the vibratory pulsation of everyone and everything, according to Anusara Philosophy - the good and the bad pieces and parts of our lives.  Spanda originates from the divine, the source, which most of us believe is fundamentally good.  When we know that the good and the not-so-good pulsations of life happen from a good source, I have faith that the not-so-good will swing the other way -- it just has to (those last 4 words are my adaptation).  Pretty heady stuff. 

My old philosophy -- this too shall pass.  Still works (and lines up with spanda). 

Enjoy your Tuesday,

No comments: