Monday, October 12, 2009

PUSHING MYSELF ...

By now, if you are a faithful reader, you know me well enough (at least from what I tell you), to know that I make progress by pushing myself out of my comfort zone. 

Saturday afternoon I went to the practice at Kula Studio (also their 3rd anniversary celebration).  It was fun and it was pushing myself out of my comfort zone.  I haven't done that in a month (since John's workshop in Park City), and I think this practice might have been a bit more challenging - as in, smaller group, more detail, and greater focus.   

I rarely do (or even attempt to do) some of the poses done on Saturday.  I also saw at least one that I'd never seen before.  So, the question -- where do I even start?  I start by staying focused, doing what I can, and creating a vision of the pose for myself.

Interestingly, as I reflect on my practice, I know I've made 'gentle' progress.  As in, 'gradual'.  Moving forward by imperceptible steps.  Some poses, never before available to me, were at least moving into the 'grasp' range.  Why?  I tell students this will happen -- their bodies will change, and become stronger and more accepting of these more challenging movements.  I tell the truth!

So, this week is pretty regular -- as in teach, do studio stuff, and get ready to be in Driggs for the next week.  I'm going up with a yoga friend, meeting a few others up there, and we all are participating in Sundari's week-long teacher training in Jackson.  My husband will stay home with the dogs -- I used to worry about meals, etc. for him when I left for these trainings.  But, over the years, I've discovered that he's very capable of taking care of himself.  (I think there's an analogy in there -- I sometimes don't give my students enough credit for their knowledge and skill.  That makes my classes less-than-challenging for them.  Got to remember that.)

First task - clean the studio.  Ahhh, the pleasures and glamour of owning a yoga studio. 

Enjoy your week,

No comments: