Saturday, October 10, 2009

STEPPIN' IT UP

Just checked all settings for this blog -- while I didn't find what I wanted, I did find that there is a new 'editor' function.  So - this will be the first blog using that feature. 

Thought I'd have to skip blogging today due to an early private.  Wrong -- checked messages and found that the couple who had scheduled are not going to make it.  So, more time -- time to blog, time to get ready, time to get a bit more housework done. 

That leaves the 9 am, Level 1, class this morning to plan for.  Yes, plan for.  I have been doing a lot of work on that part of my teaching this week.  Hopefully, the planning will be easier because of that, as in not requiring quite as much time as normal. 

My week was consumed by stuff that I can't even remember right now.   Of note, my Friday a.m. Gentle Yoga class changed start times, at the request of the Wednesday students.  So, we start a bit later now -- 10 am, instead of 9:30 am.  Result?  A couple more people, which always adds to the energy, even in a Gentle class. 

I checked the definition of the word 'gentle' yesterday (http://www.yourdictionary.com/).  Everything written seemed pretty 'milk-toast', until I reached the last point of the definition - "gradually increasing, as in 'gentle slope'".  Then I looked up 'gradual' - "taking place by almost imperceptible steps or degrees; developing little by little, not sharply or suddenly".

Just the definition of those two words gave me material for this group, known to utter "gentle my _ _ _ (backside)" during some poses.  Gentle doesn't mean lying around.  For my group it means just as the definitions told me - gradually moving in almost imperceptible steps, little by little, step by step.  For these students  -- all dealing with an injury, or recovering from surgery, or just getting back  into movement -- this is just what they need.  They must progress, but to take them too quickly into places that create anxiety and fear, is counterproductive. 

So, yesterday, we worked on the legs.  As we worked on the legs, we started to feel movement in the back -- just from the legs.  So, almost imperceptibly, they got a bit of back work, without the fear/anxiety that sometimes accompanies movement in the back for many of these students; those with other issues, also got some good leg and back work. 

Later today, I'll go to the practice at Kula Studio -- see if I remember anything from my 'marathon weekend' of a few weeks ago. 

Now I need to go get ready. 

Have a great day & weekend,

No comments: