Tuesday, October 27, 2009

RESTED & READY

As in, practice - teach - study.  Yesterday, I took the opportunity to rest.  I did a bit of paperwork at the studio in the morning, then retreated to home. 

This morning, after yesterday's nap and a long night's sleep, I feel much better.  More ready to apply some of what I learned last week.  I say "some", because there have been times in my life that I've returned from a training or workshop and begun to try to teach everything I learned.  Wrong approach.  For me, it wasn't my voice, my experience, and - poor students - they got a less-than authentic class. 

So, take it slow.  Think about what I learned, what I observed, and how I can apply it in my life and in my teaching.  Then, and only then, take it into my classes. 

I listened to phone messages last night.  Of note, was one from my grandson, Jack (almost 3-years-old).  I sent him a card during the training, on which the photo was of a painting in the museum titled "Chief" -- a huge painting of a buffalo, emerging from the mist and gazing right out at the observer.  Jack told me several things, including:
  1. Thank you for the buffalo card
  2. I don't cry anymore when I brush my teeth
  3. Something about stickers (this may be a reward system for brushing teeth and other tasks)
  4. Something else I didn't quite catch
  5. And, finally, a comment (and - I'm sure) a reminder about the flashlight - which I will send off today.  What will I write about once the blue flashlight saga is over?   
Busy day today -- class with Wayne (will I be able to move after 5 days of sitting and not much physical asana?), then pilates with Cindy (same question - no pilates, either), I'll teach at 4 (maybe apply one thing from the training), and I'll sub tonight's prenatal class (better brush up on prenatal needs). 

Hope you have a great Tuesday,

No comments: