Thursday, October 29, 2009

WEDNESDAY'S WONDER & WORRY

I taught my first 'official' post-training yoga class yesterday (Wednesday).  (I had taught on Tuesday, but it's a one-hour class and I'm not sure I can call that 'official' by yoga standards.) 

The Wednesday class is a Gentle Yoga class, attended by students ages 40-86.  Students choose this class because they have an injury, they haven't moved for a while, or they're looking for more than their gym or community center is able to offer in the way of individual attention and modification. 

So, pull out the chairs and watch the eyes -- pure horror, as in "We're going to use chairs?!?!  What kind of yoga is this?"

My theme yesterday revolved around acceptance.  The motivation was personal, but everyone can relate -- whether they accept or reject their bodies, something about their personality, or something about another person. 

The most powerful moment came when I asked everyone to stand sideways on their mat and take triangle.  Acceptance walked right into the room and took center stage with this pose.  Watching students, I saw all shapes and manner of triangle.  I had encouraged use of blocks or (horrors) chair to support the lower hand.  Everyone, tho, was trying to do their best (and keep up with their neighbor), so many were attempting to get the hand to the floor. 

I pulled one out of a very distorted triangle, handed her a chair, and asked her to do the pose using the chair as a foundation for the bottom hand.  Music to my ears as she opened into a very aligned trichonasana. 

Since no one else had seen this transformation, I asked them to gather round and watch as we did the other side.  Another song, as she opened her heart and gracefully gazed up towards her extended arm.

Having demonstrated this, I decided everyone should do the pose again.   Each person wisely decided what prop to use (or not to use), and I had a room full of singing trichonasanas ("The Singing Trichonasanas" -- good name for something, hey?).

I don't always advocate using props, but - especially in this class - using props is accepting and then working with the limitations that age, surgery, chronic conditions, etc., have placed on us (even if it is only temporary).  There will be time to work on the pose and, eventually perhaps, discard the prop; while we do that work, tho, the body is loving the direction the prop offers to safe, prana-filled alignment. 

So, that was the 'wonder' of Wednesday. 

The 'worry', you ask?  I got a call yesterday afternoon that my Mother, who is 85, was being transported to the hospital in Spokane.  Heart rate - 32 !!!  coupled with high blood pressure.  This leaves my Father, who is not mobile enough to be left on his own in their home, to be cared for.  Luckily I have a cousin who will step in.  Now waiting for word on just what is causing this condition.  There is a bit of relief in all of this, it explains a lot of what she has been experiencing lately in her daily life -- fatigue, palpitations, anxiety, memory issues.  So, waiting for updates.

Enjoy your day,

No comments: